Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
great measurements there bruno.
i think nc 1200 would be the ideal module if you offer only one.

Looking at the specs, the nc1200 is actually quite close to the UcD700.

Both are spec'd at 90V supply rails. Both run ~700W clipping into 4 ohm. I think the ncore is stronger into 2 ohms. And was named as such.

so NC1200 ~= "UcD700++"
:D

I suppose if that were the only DIY model I would be OK with it. But I wouldn't mind a little less power if it keeps the cost more reasonable.

Of course, the "improved" UcD line should be no slouch either :rolleyes:

As a UCD400hg hxr with SMPS user I'd suggest a 1k unit but with easily adjustable gain [...]

hmm, easily adjustable gain would be nice. With many preamps I've used, the 26dB (IIRC) gain of the UcD400 is too high. It would work well to be 10dB lower.

It is easy to change the gain on UcD by swapping a resistor - however, I've been too lazy to touch the completed amp and pull the UcD boards out to get at the bottom side. :eek: (for now, high gain is good, as I'm using a passive volume. for now... ;) )

Easily adjustable (even two step) gain would be nice, but the downside is a jumper or switch...

hmm, easily adjustable gain would be nice. With many preamps I've used, the 26dB (IIRC) gain of the UcD400 is too high. It would work well to be 10dB lower.

It is easy to change the gain on UcD by swapping a resistor - however, I've been too lazy to touch the completed amp and pull the UcD boards out to get at the bottom side. :eek: (for now, high gain is good, as I'm using a passive volume. for now... ;) )

Easily adjustable (even two step) gain would be nice, but the downside is a jumper or switch...

that's what I did, change r3 for a lower gain (I think it is now about 15db) but it is tricky with the smd as you can guess....

Funny... I thought that by now I'd have been inundated in requests for this op amp or that... I suppose that means it wasn't too bad on the old HG series then ;)

I just had a quick look at the DIY sales figures for the past year. It seems we've shifted 6 UcD400HG's for every UcD700HG. 's called a wossname, podal democracy or something like that :D Not that I don't sympathise, mind. I feel very puissant with the two 1200 proto's in my stereo. Keep the votes coming.

The reason why we'd like to have a different DIY/OEM offering is to avoid the usual kvetching from high end manufacturers who must absolutely have something that isn't available on the open market. So once that's decided we could just as well differentiate the feature sets. Things like easier connectors for DIY (B2W instead of B2B connectors, no special industrial types), a nice input buffer (which is where OEM customers like to express their own genius) etc.

Last edited:
Less power

My vote goes for a smaller lower power variant that would make a high quality active setup at domestic output levels possible. Something like three channels at 50/50/100 watt would do very nicely. Up to double those levels if you feel the technology demands it I guess.

That would really distinguish the offering from the commercial one and allow some quite versatile DIY building. A single 2.1 setup or two tri-amped speakers from a pair would be obvious builds.

It seems we've shifted 6 UcD400HG's for every UcD700HG.
:D
my guess is the 400 is at a nice place in the price/performance curve.
(I thought so) Though I'm sure the 700 is nice...

Ideally the input would be a discrete Fet stage, but.....

what would be really great is a good input buffer such as the 4562 or 2134 (I'm happy with the 400HG) and also some flexibility in the PCB for easy bypassing. if we look at the type of things the DIY crowd has done with the current UcD's... such as bypass the opamp input buffer/gain stage for a tube gain stage

As Bruno mentions good diy accessible connectors are a great start.

My vote would be for simplicity and modular design. I know those are somewhat opposites but a buffer is great, even better is a buffer as an add on board so you don't force everyone to use it.

As a beginer its great to have a clear path to sucess. Advanced users want maximum flexibility not sure how to square those?

Funny... I thought that by now I'd have been inundated in requests for this op amp or that... I suppose that means it wasn't too bad on the old HG series then ;)

Well, I do recollect reading a post of yours concerning a discrete input stage.. I certainly wouldn't mind. :p

I just had a quick look at the DIY sales figures for the past year. It seems we've shifted 6 UcD400HG's for every UcD700HG.

Makes sense, if you consider the price difference and the fact that they had the option of cutting down a bit on power in order to get a Hypex within their budget.
Btw, the owner(s) of those 6 modules will have one more reason to upgrade to the new NC1200-grade modules (see: extra power). ;)

Wonder if those numbers scale linearly down to the UcD180 ?
About twice the number of 400's. Clearly the big cut-off point is between 400 and 700.

The raw Ncore input is a [dog of the female persuasion] to drive. You need a buffer with [something said animal lacks] to handle it. I'm half given to trying a buffer design that's so good nobody would want to bypass it. Or is that the hubris of a mere power amp designer? ;)

How about this: damn the torpedos, use the best of everything and configure it the best way you know how. Make it a statement that once and for all makes believers out of the class d naysayers...ok, I know that last part is asking for too much but one can hope...

Hello Bruno

Have you considered an all in one power amp/power supply combination similar to the ice power modules for driving subwoofers ?? It wouldn't have to be as refined as ncore as long as it could deliver 1KW into 4 ohms !! It should also offer some auxiliary power rails such as +/-15 V and 5V for driving preamps and DSP's etc ??

regards
Trevor

If a large number of diy people is the target, the module should be easy to implement and/or include a few documented examples on how to do it (as a beginner I chosed the Ucd400 instead of the Ucd700 because it was easier to understand and hence less likely to be blown up, which in the case of the Ucd700 would even be worse in view of the higher price).

Providing optional autosensing power on units would be nice (for surround amps for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.