Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so after a brief instance of the amps working somewhat well, they have now failed again. I am out of guesses as they aren't behaving erratically like before. In the most recent instance, one shut off, then shortly after, the other did too. While the power switch remained on, the leds (wafflee, which are the series of red lights on the ncore module) shut off. I'm totally confused. My guesses are a grounding issue, a polarity inconsistency (which shouldn't have these effects), or damaged modules/power supplies. I'm concerned that the stress (mainly during the erratic on off phase) could have damaged certain components.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. Is there a way to test the SMPS for proper voltage with a basic meter? I'm fearful that this is the culprit as both units are acting abnormally meaning there may have been a power issue that damaged the modules. Hopefully this isn't the case though at this point it seems most likely.

Thank you for the information. Is there a way to test the SMPS for proper voltage with a basic meter? I'm fearful that this is the culprit as both units are acting abnormally meaning there may have been a power issue that damaged the modules. Hopefully this isn't the case though at this point it seems most likely.

Sure - just measure the mains AC voltage going into the SMPS's with the AC range of the multimeter, and the output DC voltages going to the nCores - some nCore modules have had voltage protection circuits that have been overly sensitive.

Another possible issue is input DC offset. Is your input isolated with a capacitor, or do you know for sure there is not DC bias on the output of your source driving the inputs of the nCores?

I had the same problem with mine when used in a place with too high of voltage. You have 2 solutions. Recalibrate the voltage regulator to be happy with the higher voltages or buy one of these for $50 : Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator

I bought one of those and set the voltage to 110, and I'm now experiencing the best sound I've heard from my ncores regardless of where there plugged in. I also plugged my DAC into the box and was blown away further. Best $50 audio upgrade I've used yet. I have a $200 monster power conditioning bar and I plugged it into the box, then plugged the ncores and dac into it. The sound got much worse. I even took it home where the ncores have always been happy directly into the outlet or monster bar. I tried every configuration, direct to wall, wall to monster,wall to APC to monster, and wall to APC. Hands down direct from the APC blew everything else away. All my audio gear is plugged into the APC now and sounding better then ever.

Last edited:
Don't know if this question has already been asked, but, i have read, about diverse Class D amps, some comments tending to say that analog power supplies sound better with them than switching ones. What is your sentiment about. Any risq with the switching frequency of the PSU to interfer with the one of the amp ?

And a second question, related to it: Ncore are self-oscillating class D amp, right ? Using two modules with different switching frequencies can produce interferences, is there a way to lock the switching frequency between two modules on the same power supply, or there is no problem regarding this issue ?
Thank in advance.

Don't know if this question has already been asked, but, i have read, about diverse Class D amps, some comments tending to say that analog power supplies sound better with them than switching ones. What is your sentiment about. Any risq with the switching frequency of the PSU to interfer with the one of the amp ?

It might be an issue if you combined any old randomly selected SMPS with an unrelated Class D amp, but the nCores and corresponding SMPSs are designed to work together. Bruno has stated that he thinks the SMPS sounds at least as good as a linear supply - and what is the point of combining a class D amp with a big, bulky and inefficient linear supply?

And a second question, related to it: Ncore are self-oscillating class D amp, right ? Using two modules with different switching frequencies can produce interferences, is there a way to lock the switching frequency between two modules on the same power supply, or there is no problem regarding this issue ?
Thank in advance.

I didn't try an analoge power supply. I have simply no reason to. I have build 5 nCores in 1 case, multichannel. Just nothing to complain about. No hum, no interference, just... music!

what is the point of combining a class D amp with a big, bulky and inefficient linear supply?
Class D is often considered like a cheap technology, appreciated in PA system, mobile phones or TV screens for its hight efficiency. There your answer takes all its sens.

Some can consider class D as a promising way to explore for high end reproduction, and Ncore's are said to be on this pit lane. No question of efficiency, size or even price of the power supply to win this race.

No question of coarse defects like hum etc... in my question, but subtle details in dynamic, ease and so for involving reproduction ...

Last edited:
as per Bruno, NCORE was designed with low distortion alone in mind and not "voiced" to sound in a specific way. second, any subjective impression is not verifiable. it is a known fact (at least for me) that some people dislike all switching power supplies for no specific reasons, irrespective of design details and objective or subjective performance. my impression is that they seem to know beforehand that they sound bad and not give them a chance. would you trust an subjective, non-verifiable opinion from those?

aside from that, Bruno has stated that the Hypex SMPS is designed in a way that minimizes specific problems. one of them is that the ripple is symmetric, hence any distortion is symmetric wrt 0 DC. anyone please correct me if 'm distorting (pun unintended) facts. why buy a low distortion amp to add distortion by further design choices?

that being said, here's a review containing a few comments from the designer, of the Genesis, UCD-based amp: 6moons audio reviews: Genesis Reference Amplifier
it uses a linear power supply and few considerations about it are given.
not saying I agree or not, just take it for what it is. just as you should take any subjective report.

Last edited:
Class D is often considered like a cheap technology, appreciated in PA system, mobile phones or TV screens for its hight efficiency. There your answer takes all its sens.

My consideration had nothing to do with "cheap technology". Small size and low power consumption / less heat are good things, whatever the price category, unless you are part of the "it can't be good unless it weighs 75 kg, heats the house and glows in the dark" school of audiophools... :)

as per Bruno, NCORE was designed with low distortion alone in mind and not "voiced" to sound in a specific way. second, any subjective impression is not verifiable. it is a known fact (at least for me) that some people dislike all switching power supplies for no specific reasons
I don't want to enter in this kind of debate. As an (retired) electronic designer myself, i know the importance of measurements, but, as a (retired) sound engineer, i know they are far to represent the whole story. Specially in the time domain. If i can get an objective point of view about the sonic difference from any power supply on a given amp, (big caps VS paralleled ones vs regulated vs stabilized vs sone specific switched one) i'm unable to extend any conclusion to a general law.
That why i asked the question, hoping to have real life experience feed-backs more than general dissertation on this subject, useless most of the time.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 376
I don't want to enter in this kind of debate.
would you consider subjective opinions from random strangers being unreliable a debatable subject? (it's just a rhetorical question)

That why i asked the question, hoping to have real life experience feed-backs more than general dissertation on this subject, useless most of the time.
this forum, like most audio-related ones, is divided into two camps. which you know already. I wouldn't base a purchase on either camp's member opinion because some of them are too extreme in their views. yes, unfortunately both subjectivists and objectivists can be extremists. UNLESS I actually know those people. I really can't understand how you can base a purchase decision (this is what you're after, otherwise asking is pointless) on a stranger's opinion. if actually I knew the guys, their systems, their listening preferences, their listening experience etc, maybe.
IMO NCORE is a case of buy, build, listen and keep or sell. you can read ten thousand reviews and still not be convinced. look at the audiocirce listening impressions topic, most reviews are positive. some are not. who is right? can you tell?
if you're unwilling to risk almost 1000 euros, just buy something you can listen beforehand. I myself decided that that sum is too much for me at the moment so I postponed indefinitely my purchase. take a leape or faith or not. it's that simple. and you get the "bonus" of actually knowing which PS sounds best.
this being said, I still can't understand why would you be interested an amp designed by someone who mostly doesn't agree with your views. especially when you consider class D and SMPS a cheap, pro audio oriented solution.
useless dissertation over.

PS: I posted the Genesis review link which contains a discussion which involves another professional designer's view, focusing exactly on the linear vs switching supply thing. thanks for considering that useless :)

Last edited:
would you consider subjective opinions from random strangers being unreliable a debatable subject? (it's just a rhetorical question)....thanks for considering that useless :)
Please, forgive-me, i had no time yet to read all the stuff, English is not my native language, it is brain consuming for me... :) Thanks for the link, of course.

For the previous, about subjective opinions of strangers, it is possible to read between lines, sometimes, and get a little idea of the poster preferences and listening accuracy, from some details. Better if you can correlate subjective feelings of several people. By example, reading an other thread about this, it seems the difference is not so obvious between the two kinds of SMPS. if someones can confirm, my choice is done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.