Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the NCore modules on the larger Magenpan panels (4Ohm, 84dB) ?

Not yet, I am waiting for the ordered NCore modules and SMPS power supplies (1 per amp) to arrive, but I got informed today that I need to wait until the next batch.

I own a pair of Magnepan 3.6R's with heavily modified X-over. At the moment I am driving them with a Marantz SM-11S1 with 200W @ 4 Ohms which works very well. But after reading about the NCores I couldn't resist to give them a try... The Marantz will sell easily for more money than the NCores+SMPS+enclosures, so if the NCores are really that good, I don't complain.

@ZAP4EVER, with reference to the data sheet (http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf) could you indicate how I can improve on the clarity of sections 7.3 (p5, where it states the pinout of J9), 8.3 (p5, where it says how to turn the amp on) and 12.2 (p11, where the correct way of connecting unbalanced inputs is given)? If you could tell me which bits are vague, ambiguous -or missing!- I can improve the data sheet. When one writes data sheets there's always the danger of assuming what the reader does and doesn't already know so I need this sort of feedback to present the information in an as clear as possible way.

I prepared my connectors waiting for the ncore and needed quite some time to find a coherent explanation for the J9 to XLR connections in a fully balanced mode without special switch on button:

Documentation says: (colors of cables are those mentionned here on dyaudio, but I would not like to rely on cable color solely)

Connector J9 ------------------------------------ xlr connector
Pin1: audio signal (red) ----------------------------> Pin 2
Pin2: inverted signal (clear) -----------------------> Pin 3
Pin3: nAmpon (black) ----------------------------->| Pin 1
Pin4: shield/signal ground (yellow) -----------> | Pin 1

Unfortunately the placement/numbering of pins on J9 (Section 11.2) is ambiguous on figure 2. Example, pin 1 on J9 (bottom right when looking front) should be connected to audio signal, but when I looked first at figure 2, for me bottom/right is the one in which the blue wire is connected, which is inverted audio as it goes to xlr-pin3.

I think the reason of my misunderstanding is that I interprete the connector as being visually bended (2 and 1 near to the border and 4 and 3 on top being pushed to the right to see them as on a Picasso painting), so I read
2 4
1 3
whereas Bruno sees it probably as on the map for pin connectors (while the plate below is turned differently) so he reads
4 3
2 1
this seem to be coherent with the connections on Figure 2.

Suggestion: not only add cable-color to cable description but also put pin numbers 1 to 4 on Figure 2 and ff.

Hope it helps others.

None... If you can point me to something, I could look into it. ...

The Bryston 10B Sub has the identical asymetric point/slope options as the Magnepan 3.6's and is referenced without being spefically named in the Maggie 3.6 manual.

The DEQX HDP-3 and HDP-4 add speaker and room correction (analog or digital in and analog or digital out).

The Marchand kits can be bought pre-assembled or DIY.

Last edited:
I wonder how surprised Hypex (JP & Bruno) are with the success of the NC400 with the diy community.

Indeed we're very surprised with more orders as we expected. And we're also surprised that the' re not very much different customers posting their feedback. Most likely every body is only listening to their music and not anymore interested to share their experience...:eek:

So we would encourage everybody to share their experience!

In WK18 we can deliver the next batch, production volume is now increased. We plan to have in WK20 again a new production batch, our goal is to reduce the lead time.

Indeed we're very surprised with more orders as we expected. And we're also surprised that the' re not very much different customers posting their feedback. Most likely every body is only listening to their music and not anymore interested to share their experience...:eek:

So we would encourage everybody to share their experience!

In WK18 we can deliver the next batch, production volume is now increased. We plan to have in WK20 again a new production batch, our goal is to reduce the lead time.
Perhaps someone are buying loads of them (with different names and addresses), putting them in a fancy chassis, adding the usual bs commercial on their website and selling them at ultra high-end price. No wonder you don't get more feedbacks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.