Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been looking at the datasheet and am slightly confused about how to go about wiring if the supply has a third ground conductor and it is connected to the chassis. Does the wiring shown in the "preferred method" for balanced connections still apply the same way with the microphone cable shielding conductor hooked up to the chassis which is also currently bonded to earth?

Yes, if you are using the power supply to switch the amp on and off.

Forgive my ignorance here, but what are the other options? You have a power switch that turns everything on and off, via the the power supply. Or you have a power switch for the power supply, which you presumably leave on and a separate power switch for the amp, which you power on with use. Apart from power consumption, any reason to do one vs the other.

Thanks.

i've been looking at the datasheet and am slightly confused about how to go about wiring if the supply has a third ground conductor and it is connected to the chassis. Does the wiring shown in the "preferred method" for balanced connections still apply the same way with the microphone cable shielding conductor hooked up to the chassis which is also currently bonded to earth?

I assume that by "supply" you mean source, not power supply?

Isn't that then exactly the case described in the "Figure 2: preferred connection" picture?

ok wasn't to sure, in my mind it didn't seem right to connect my 125VAC earth ground to the chassis and then the shielding conductor to the same place.

This is best practice in most cases, see AES48. That way a low-impedance web of shields surrounds everything except the amp outputs. Earth ground is earth ground, I like to say it's "accessed via mains ground" since it should have almost zero voltage, just sayin' :) .

Is there a way to check if the source is fully balanced and not just using xlr connectors in a non balaced configuration?

If my source (dac) uses a 3 wire power supply (120V), and the ground/earth wire attaches to the chassis, can I use a multimeter to check for continuity between the chassis and pin2 of the xlr to see if they are both bonded to earth/ground? Would this tell me if the dac is actually fully balanced?

If my source (dac) uses a 3 wire power supply (120V), and the ground/earth wire attaches to the chassis, can I use a multimeter to check for continuity between the chassis and pin2 of the xlr to see if they are both bonded to earth/ground? Would this tell me if the dac is actually fully balanced?

You will still be OK, even in the unlikely scenario that the output XLR of your DAC is not balanced. It just turns into the situation in figure 3: "How to benefit from a balanced input even if the source is unbalanced" in the nc400 data sheet.

You would probably not damage anything with a multimeter, but I would still recommend against trying to measure the DAC output.

Status
Not open for further replies.