Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
"they explain that the star-quad is better"

I think someone mentioned Canare earlier... ;-)
take it easy on me guys, I'm new to this balanced cable thing :)

Mogami and Canare were uknown to me before the NCORE arrived.
after some research:
Canare Corp.: Star Quad Series: Star Quad Microphone cable(L-4E6AT / L-4E5AT)
http://www.canare.com/UploadedDocuments/Cat11_p35.pdf (scope plots shown!)
Transmission line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anyway, I'm glad I asked :)

Last edited:
make sure and check out Gotham as well, often referred to as GAC, Gotham Audio Cable. Swiss.

Very good noise rejection with their shielding, I have found it to work better than star quad in many applications. Jim Brown in his measurements shows it to be about the best in noise rejection. Jim Brown is the person who brings you the pin 1 problem and various other EMI issues, you could say the Bruno of RFI.

GAC was (is?) the cable Neumann provided with their microphones.

Europe <http://www.gotham.ch/de/index.php>
America's <http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/>

available in cut lengths thru Redco on this side of the pond

I have no business ties to the company except for the money I give them.

Alan Garren

No one is interested in answering a question from a newbie?:cannotbe:

I'm really looking forward to an answer.

If not this:Class D Audio Heavy Duty DC Power Supply - Power Supplies

How about this: Connexelectronic

Please advise me pleeasee

Hi folks,

I had ordered for two NC400 modules and would be getting them after 18 weeks (hopefully) I intend to drive my two way speakers via active crossovers (may be even DEQX)

Since their SMPS600 which are suitable to power up the above modules are also out of stock and also, since each of them costs 180 Euro, I'll have to shell out another 360 Euro which works out to 27K Indian Rupees for me, ouch.

Can I use this power supply from Class D Audio and use a 800VA trafo to supply the current to the PS and up the amps?

The one in your first link looks unregulated - not sure that would work very well.

My advice is that if you go for a non-hypex SMPS, you will have to sort out issues such as EMF and supply noise yourself - and that requires experience. So unless you really know what you are doing, it might be best to bite the bullet and go for the hypex parts despite the cost.

Very good noise rejection with their shielding, I have found it to work better than star quad in many applications. Jim Brown in his measurements shows it to be about the best in noise rejection. Jim Brown is the person who brings you the pin 1 problem and various other EMI issues, you could say the Bruno of RFI.
these names sound to me the way Hypex probably sounds to someone who's best stereo was a Panasonic boombox :) so... if you feel that I'm ignoring suggestions is only because I'm, well, ignorant in this respect.
since these are made in Europe it's even better for me. I'll look up "Jim Brown". it's not that I don't believe you (looks like you know a thing or two about this) but it's refreshing to see some actual cable science :)

Last edited:
3. Is it OK to have the SMPS permanently connected to mains and use a low voltage switch (and an external +12V) for turning ON/OFF the SMPS and amplifier ?
FWIF, I've done this for a while (years?) with my UCD implementation, not with the Hypex SMPS but that shouldn't make any real difference. it's never disconnected from mains and "off" means stand by (controlled by a MCU). if you think about it (please correct me if I'm wrong), not even the input rectifier is doing any work since the input cap remains charged.
with a good design (which I'm sure the Hypex SMPS is) I can't imagine how this can be a problem. silicon can withstand 24/7 work hours :)

these names sound to me the way Hypex probably sounds to someone who's best stereo was a Panasonic boombox :) so... if you feel that I'm ignoring suggestions is only because I'm, well, ignorant in this respect.
since these are made in Europe it's even better for me. I'll look up "Jim Brown". it's not that I don't believe you (looks like you know a thing or two about this) but it's refreshing to see some actual cable science :)

You're right, I should have given some links. So here is one that leads to a lot of potential reading on the subject. Scroll down to Hum, Buzz, and RF Interference.
Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

I also slightly misspoke on the on the attribution issue, while Jim did a lot to test and promote pin 1 issues, Neil Muncy was the person who did the original work. Neil is retired now.

Cheers,
Alan

Back to the subject of the sound of the Ncore400, this time vs the UCD700.

I went to a friends mastering studio (different one from last time). He uses a pair of UCD700's bought assembled from hypex with HxR regulators. Previously he had UCD400's without HxR.

We listened to a few tracks to familiarize the sound in our heads, I should say my head as he has been listening to this setup everyday for about two years and knows it intimately. We then substituted the Ncore 400's into the system (both balanced, single pair wire to the speakers) and listened to the reference tracks. My initial impressions was of clearer top and better midrange articulation, wasn't quite sure about the bass for level reasons. We didn't match levels before hand. There wasn't a lot of difference, but it was apparent.

After Adam listened some more he felt that also imaging was slightly better, and I concurred. He also felt that the bass was tighter than with the 700's.

All in all, about the same sort of response as I have seen from everyone who has listened to the amps. Better imaging, articulation and control. All things that would be suggested by the improvements that Bruno made in the amps.

Putting my head up to the tweeters I could hear nothing. Absolute silence. Not sure what the efficency of the speakers is, but I'd guess moderate. (looked it up, 90db)

We then tried to crap the amp out, didn't happen. Pumping lots of bass on techno and house and it just kept coming. Something like a 20'X30" room with 10' (?) ceilings. (very loose numbers) Ears quit first.

So, another interesting session with the amp.
Adam wanted to know if he could just change out the amp modules, but alas no, the 700 psu has too high voltage output.

speakers- Tyler Acoustics D-1 Decade
DAC- Forssell Technologies MDAC-2

Cheers,
Alan Garren

The one in your first link looks unregulated - not sure that would work very well.
Thanks for the reply. The one in the first link is a linear power supply and needs a hefty transformer. I intend to use a 800VA R Core trafo to supply the power.
My advice is that if you go for a non-hypex SMPS, you will have to sort out issues such as EMF and supply noise yourself - and that requires experience. So unless you really know what you are doing, it might be best to bite the bullet and go for the hypex parts despite the cost.
That seems to be a sane advice. I'll go by it.

@Bruno

I noted your last recommendation on connecting SMPS/nCore modules. Could you please give a feedback on question 5 and confirm other points?

Concerning screening, after some readings, I would tend to say only the SMPS should be "EMF enclosed" to protect the nCore module and signal cabling. Is this a good approach? Would a Faraday enclosure + mumetal shield be useful for this?

Best practices / pending questions according to what I gathered:

1. do not use Shaffner or any other Y filter
  2. do install some EMI screening between SMPS and amp modules (many DIYers look to have set up some according to their pictures)
  3. do use a 255Ohms@100MHz ferrite clamps (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/42146-ucd400-q-29.html#post512556) around SMPS to amp cabling (close to the amp module), around speakers cables (really??), around mains to SMPS
  4. do twist cables but no idea if any better shielding could improve
  5. is a speakers protection circuit useful considering all built-on protection routines of the nCore amp module to avoid "plops" in speakers at switch on?
  6. do use SMPS pin for stand-by (Pin J1:1). So what is the purpose of the nAmpOn Pin J9:3?

Well, I have no idea where this do / don't list came from. For instance, it's not because some people get the heebiejeebies about SMPS whereas they've gotten used to switching amps by now that you can use that sentiment to deduce that the SMPS needs shielding.

1 is correct.
2 not necessary.
3 not necessary (story was taken out of context). Also note the NC400 has much lower EMI than the UcD400.
4 correct: do twist the speaker wiring and PLEASE do not have them come out of the opposing sides of the screw lugs. This makes a big pickup loop right next to the output inductor.
5 additional speaker protection is only needed if you use a supply that doesn't respond to the fatal/dcerror signal.
6 is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.