Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently have the following setup:

W4S DAC2 -> balanced > 2xUCD400HG > 2xB&W 802Di

I want to replace the UCD's for Ncore's, but I'm a bit afraid of DC going to the B&W's. The DAC2 has no caps on the output, the Ncore's none on the input.
What brand/value of caps is a good recommendation to safeguard the speakers, yet keep a decent sound quality?
Furthermore, how to configure those when using balanced in/outs?

And a second question - Can hypex provide cables for a single PSU -> 2 modules? I know I can "roll my own" but here in Belgium it's always a search to get the right connectors & tools for the job.

Thanks

Similarly i'd like to know if I will have any issues hooking up a mytek 192 stereo/dsd dac straight to the ncores and using the volume control on the dac.

well, Autocad is not the most intuitive CAD application out there, it's rather bottom-up. you have to know the basic commands and start building up from there.

I started reading the nearly 200 page manual. It's a shame really as I have a design now but just want to be able to convert it into a proper technical drawing and include a vector logo although there is still another option that I've been discussing with someone else which might end up being a different design altogether.

I don't think it's worth reading the manual as manuals are supposed to be generic and not focus on specific usage models. with ACAD you have the basic commands like line, circle, rectangle, arc etc and modifying commands like trim, chamfer, copy, array, rotate, move, scale, extrude etc. look for a quick usage guide on the net.

Same here!

Interesting that you found the bass to be much better than UcD400, just like I did myself. I think the difference in bass quality is just as big as the rest of the frequency range.

we can verify that as well (ZAP4EVER and GONZAX) - Bass is much faster and seems to be more tight and in control as well - improvement seems to be all over (so to speak)
:)

Last edited:
right, my first impressions. Do note that I can only compare to an early ucd400 currently, so I can only describe the sound in relation to that. I know that most of you are not interested in comparisons against the ucd400's, but at least no one can say I didn;t post my impressions :)

System used: mac mini (Amarra) --> toslink --> Classe SSP300 (all filtering off, all video stuff switched off) --> diy grimm TPR RCA->XLR and Hypex HG RCA->XLR interlinks --> ncore (hacked together not in a case yet) --> biwire Linn Ninka's

Total voltage offset with classe connected: chan1 ~40mV, chan2 ~ -55mV (a bit on the high side, but acceptable as far as I'm concerned)

Only difference in sound between the hypex HG and diy Grimm TPR cable that I have noticed is that the hypex HG interlinks are more detailed and, but this may be me deceiving myself, that the diy grimm TPR sounds a little "cooler/colder", a bit more "technical" or however you would want to describe it. Maybe an unfair comparison, as the hypex is ~75cm and the grimm was ~4m long but hey, who cares.

Impressions, compared with UCD400

- More "open" sound, you can hear room reflections in live/studio live recordings very well.
- Detail in voices is enormous. No grainy sound, nothing. Relaxed, clean, no veils, nothing.
- Very very very very detailed but never fatigueing/annoying
- relaxed. No stress. both high volumes and low volumes, pumping out bass all over the place without so much as a hint of not being in control and losing the relaxed sound.
- Somehow it sounds "natural". nothing is exaggerated, nothing is left out as far as I can tell.
- General feeling of the sound just "being there", with the UCD's the imaging was a little off and I never got the impression that the sound stood out from the speakers, now the sound is "just there", broader soundstage, more depth in front of and behind speakers.

All relative, of course.

I know, "useless" review, but still.

2 more things:

- Inertiatic ESP (The Mars Volta/De-loused at the comatorium) : The singer's voice can on many systems sound female-ish. When you listen to it through a good headphone, there;s no doubt about the singer being male. With the UCD's you can go both ways. With the NCore though, no doubt: he's a dude (try it for yourself). In my system...

- Selah Sue / Born this way: the bass at the beginning really just *pops* out, it sounds like a true bass being plucked, including the metallic sound that fresh guitar/bass strings deliver, not just the dull (low voice) pom pom pom pom pom sound :)

Happy little camper here!

Last edited:
Just to clarify - when I sometimes wonder how the bass sounds different with an NC400 or a UcD400 this is only in the case of an active 3-way (or more) speaker or a subwoofer. In all other cases I don't think there's any mystery at all...

weird. When I read your post above I missed the 3-way active part ? Seems like 2 different posts? (hence the quote) ?!?

Oh yeah, one more thing. I think I may have blown a woofer or something somewhere last week (before the ncores), as there is a veeeeeeeerryyyy tiny little rattle somewhere in one of them. Only with specific frequencies something seems to resonate (rattle rattle). Out with the screwdrivers!

Damien Rice's 9 Crimes, in the beginning when the music just starts...

Anyway...

Last edited:
Direct connection to DAC

Just wanted to check I'm OK to directly connect an NC400 to the outputs of this DAC chip without the need for a linestage. This is a V out chip. The only thing between the inputs and outputs would be a low pass filter (see note 2), and about 5cm of cable.

WM8741outputlevels.jpg

At zero signal, the + and - balanced outputs have absolute zero offset, but about 2.3V offset to GND.

Status
Not open for further replies.