Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post Bruno.

If someone has a source/preamp with unbalanced outputs I'd probably put a pair of quality transformers inside the power amp for the SE->BAL conversion and then send the (now balanced) signal to the NCores.
Active devices could also be used (e.g. THAT1646) but then you have the added complexity of having to provide said devices with power.

So this is basically what I was asking with using some high quality Jensen transformers? According to some of their white papers this is the only correct way to keep S/N low. Can you see any draw backs to this approach.

Ideally I have both a single ended, via RCA going through transformer, then the balanced completely straight in to the UCD/NC module.

Can you see any draw backs to this approach.

Cost. Quality transformers are not exactly cheap. ;)

For the record, the aforementioned THAT devices are partly based on work by Bill Whitlock (head of Jensen).

Ideally I have both a single ended, via RCA going through transformer, then the balanced completely straight in to the UCD/NC module.

That's practical but I'm not sure how NC400's input stage would take it if, by accident, two sources where connected on the amp at the same time - Bruno will know best.
Perhaps a switch at the back to select between RCA-XLR will be a more fool-proof arrangement (especially if you decide to sell the amps, let friends borrow them etc.).

Last edited:
Here's another alternative, small chassis (Amplifier chassis: GDCH-05) which I have been looking at.

Hi, I'm new on here but have been reading with interest for a while and will probably be taking the plunge fairly soon. I'm looking at case options, most of which I have found to be almost the right size but not quite (especially from the Italian company I forget the name of with all the custom plate options).

So, is the above case available with a plain face i.e. no knob etc?

It seems to me you can get away with a very compact case design but does anyone know the realistic minimum internal dimensions using the 600 power supply without making things too difficult?

From a layout perspective is anything ok so long as power and signal wires are kept away from each other?

Thanks

Cost. Quality transformers are not exactly cheap. ;)

For the record, the aforementioned THAT devices are partly based on work by Bill Whitlock (head of Jensen).

That's practical but I'm not sure how NC400's input stage would take it if, by accident, two sources where connected on the amp at the same time - Bruno will know best.
Perhaps a switch at the back to select between RCA-XLR will be a more fool-proof arrangement (especially if you decide to sell the amps, let friends borrow them etc.).

Of course a switch would have been placed in.
I have added this type of transformer before but mostly due to pro and consumer stuff not always working perfectly. Technically speaking a transformer should also help with impedance differences to?

Of course if one does not need anything extra in the signal path I am totally ok with that also.

:)

Hi Bruno,

Is it OK to use the unregulated positive auxiliary outputs (21Vdc) to power a circuit just to light a LED?

I'd like to have a single LED in the front panel, but this LED should only be switched on if both smps are powered. My idea is to use a optocoupler so the supplies are not connected to each other.
e.g. smps one is powering the LED in the optocoupler and smps two is powering the LED in the front panel. If the LED in the optocoupler is switched on by smps 1, the photo transistor, also in the optocoupler, lets the current pass and then it flows through the LED in the front panel.

Will this have any negative effects to the sonics of the amps?

Thanks, its a Schurter 1241.6824.1122000 latching button. Im using the aux power of the SMPS600 to power the LED.

Nice units. I was looking at using the same case but ideally I want a narrower width (220mm max) but I like the ideal of being able to customise the faceplate of those.

Regarding the switch. I presume that it can be used on it's own without a rocker switch? Is that what you've done? If so it could be just what I'm looking for otherwise I will go for a rocker switch at the rear with LED at the front.

The other case I am considering is the THL with the curved front but they're not cheap and I'm a little concerned about the finish. It's a shame I can't get one like yours but a bit narrower.

RCA from pre to XLR on the nCores.

Unless you get ground loop problems upstream (unlikely), you should be fine earthing the amps.
Is it OK to use the unregulated positive auxiliary outputs (21Vdc) to power a circuit just to light a LED?

I'd like to have a single LED in the front panel, but this LED should only be switched on if both smps are powered. My idea is to use a optocoupler so the supplies are not connected to each other.
e.g. smps one is powering the LED in the optocoupler and smps two is powering the LED in the front panel. If the LED in the optocoupler is switched on by smps 1, the photo transistor, also in the optocoupler, lets the current pass and then it flows through the LED in the front panel.

Will this have any negative effects to the sonics of the amps?
Actually a LED output is one of the things I miss most. But there is no problem at all using the unregulated supplies for that.

Practically speaking the grounds of both channels will be connected via the chassis anyway. So you can work around the optocoupler. Use the +aux rail of one supply to turn a transistor on and the +aux rail of the other to power the anode of the LED...

Even if we accept that certain construction details can have an audible effect, is it likely that they can make up for the gross problems fundamentally associated with unbalanced wiring, such as letting ground currents mix with the music?

Does an unbalanced cable with separate signal and shield/ground wires let ground currents mix with the music?

... get the basics right (shielding, symmetry, microphonics).

The microphonics part is interesting.

Do you mean SPL moving cable conductors relative to each other modulates the signal?

If so, it seems that cable construction that tightly binds the conductors together is preferred.

Unless you get ground loop problems upstream (unlikely), you should be fine earthing the amps.

Actually a LED output is one of the things I miss most. But there is no problem at all using the unregulated supplies for that.

Practically speaking the grounds of both channels will be connected via the chassis anyway. So you can work around the optocoupler. Use the +aux rail of one supply to turn a transistor on and the +aux rail of the other to power the anode of the LED...

Yes a LED output would certainly be nice and for lots of people a lot easier to connect a LED to the smps or amp. Perhaps a nice feature for all future releases?

I think that i'll stick to the optocoupler since I already have it at home. Thanks for your (quick) answer

Does an unbalanced cable with separate signal and shield/ground wires let ground currents mix with the music?
Electrons are very lazy, they will take all possible current paths. For unbalanced interconnects, it's best to use a heavy low resistance braided shield as the return. That way the voltage drop of both the signal current and the noise current is kept as low as possible.

Electrons are very lazy, they will take all possible current paths. For unbalanced interconnects, it's best to use a heavy low resistance braided shield as the return. That way the voltage drop of both the signal current and the noise current is kept as low as possible.

How about keeping speaker/amp ground isolated from earth/chassis ground with the shield connected to the latter?

Status
Not open for further replies.