Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bruno

The pictures are pretty clear except for the input wiring on the module. The input connector wiring (RCA/XLR) is clear. But on the module's end there are no pin numbers and the wire colors are not the same as in the picture.

So you are looking at a diagram at page 12 to do the wiring and you need the table at page 5 and the drawing at page 10 to piece it together.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Here's two pics of my recent Ncore build. They are simply mounted on a piece of alu sheet, and will be placed inside my H-baffle woofers. I have four of these.

Attachments

• Ncore02.jpg
    Ncore02.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 776
  • Ncore01.jpg
    Ncore01.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 737
The datasheet shows the wiring for both but not both inputs hooked up to one ncore.
I just want to know if you would parallel the connections from the 4 pin on the ncore with one set of wires going to balanced and one to unbalanced and how you would put a toggle between the two

Robbbby

Read the datasheet very carefully and you may just realise that Bruno is trying to tell you something......."Having made sufficiently clear that there is, in fact, no reason why anyone should ever want to
waste a perfectly good balanced input by putting the module in a box with RCA inputs, it is likely
that some will persist."

The various input diagrams show you just how to do balanced and unbalanced but, does it not make sense that if your 'switchable' balanced and unbalanced input arrangement was a good thing then Bruno would do a picture for it?
Easiest solution for you would be to use the 'preferred' XLR balanced input and get a quality RCA to XLR converter lead. I use these guys:- ViaBlue™ RCA-XLR Cable | NF-S1 Silver Quattro | silvered interconnect ,they are great value and they sound good too.

Cheers John

Stig, if I were you I'd rotate the NCORE 90 degrees clock wise -> shorter input cable and it doesn't run near the PS. I'm not sure if this is bound to make an audible difference but it's free.
one mistake I made with my UCD implementation was that I ordered the case before having all the components in front of me. as a result layout and wiring is suboptimal and I never got to fix it (lazy). it basically needs a new case to be fixed. most likely the next upgrade for me will be a more appropriate, custom-drilled case. with an amp like the NCORE I'd make all efforts to do everything by the book.

Robbbby

Read the datasheet very carefully and you may just realise that Bruno is trying to tell you something......."Having made sufficiently clear that there is, in fact, no reason why anyone should ever want to
waste a perfectly good balanced input by putting the module in a box with RCA inputs, it is likely
that some will persist."

The various input diagrams show you just how to do balanced and unbalanced but, does it not make sense that if your 'switchable' balanced and unbalanced input arrangement was a good thing then Bruno would do a picture for it?
Easiest solution for you would be to use the 'preferred' XLR balanced input and get a quality RCA to XLR converter lead. I use these guys:- ViaBlue™ RCA-XLR Cable | NF-S1 Silver Quattro | silvered interconnect ,they are great value and they sound good too.

Cheers John

I know which is better and the preferred method, I was just curious if there was a proper way to do it with both. Not everyone has XLR connections or converter cables.

I personally have balanced outputs on my dac so that isn't the issue, I will be running balanced. I simply was looking at the option of putting both in case I let a friend try them or if I got into a jam where my dac broke and rca was the only option to hook up to another piece of equipment. Which coincidentally is the predicament i'm in right now with a broken amp and had to run rcas out to an old amp

If putting both in some sort of proper fashion is not do able, then I will just put the balanced obviously.

Pls! we used several hours last evening / night with testing in between trying to figure out how to actually wire the J9. Being called an impatient kind of person is not polite. You are probably right – these manuals are written for technical skilled persons and perfect on that level but some of the terms are rather technical. I assume that primarily we are all interested in “spreading the word” about an excellent product and if a few “non-technical” notes or drawing actually prevents frustrations and toasted Ncore modules isn’t it worth the effort?
Bottom line – we all want the best amp for the lowest price so that we can enjoy music. These modules are as close to “plug and play” as it comes.

Let’s be the change we want to see in this world.

We got quite a few replies on how to wire the J9 of which Bruno’s was the most accurate and easy to understand.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Ah well... originally I had intended to have both the SMPS and NC400 rotated 180 degrees from what I have now, but then I by accident mirrored the drill pattern...... :eek:

But I dont care to fix that... it works like a dream, and there is absolutely NO noise even with close to 120 dB / 2.83 V efficient speakers!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I asked about that earlier in this thread, the answer was you can place the NC400 as close to the SMPS as you like, and in any orientation. Apparently no problem with the signal wire either. I have NO, absolutely NO, noise. Even if I put my ear at the speaker cone itself, I cant hear any noise. And this is with 98 dB sensitive woofers.

I finally got my ncores up and running!

First impression is that they sound wonderful all over. Even the bass is very good!
Can't say they sound sterile at all.

Excellent value, can't believe they're that cheap for what you get!

But I think my class A-amp is a tiny bit clearer, I'll have to listen some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.