Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a preamp with 5k output impedance pose any problems with the NCore? The source is the Metric Halo LIO-8.

The input impedance is not awfully high but it's very linear. It should work fine with 5k. But indeed it looks like you meant to say that the MH is driving the amplifier directly and the output impedance is 5 ohms. If indeed you are using a preamp with a 5k output impedance it may be worthwhile to see how to do volume control with the MH.

Last edited:
The input impedance is not awfully high but it's very linear. It should work fine with 5k. But indeed it looks like you meant to say that the MH is driving the amplifier directly and the output impedance is 5 ohms. If indeed you are using a preamp with a 5k output impedance it may be worthwhile to see how to do volume control with the MH.

Thanks! I use a MH as my source which feeds a preamp.

roscoeiii, at the risk of sounding like a nCore fan-boy...on my speakers, in my system and to my ears the nCore is superior in every way to my 60 watt Class A OTL's. The difference is not subtle IMHO. And my speakers are an easy load for OTL's to drive as well.

My OTL's have good tonal and energy balance and a sense of immediacy (what audiophiles typically and incorrectly refer to as transparency) but, are considerably less accurate. The OTL soundstage is exaggerated left to right and compressed front to back. There is much lower macro and micro detail which obfuscates or homogenizes the true sound of everything. If your source, speakers or room are bright or thin then I think many would and do find the OTL's to sound very pleasant and musical.

The nCore's have better tonal and energy balance, the soundstage is very accurately conveyed in all dimensions and remains rock solid even during complex, dynamic passages at both very low and high SPL while even the subtlest of details are conveyed in the most effortless fashion.

For example, a delicate triangle strike in the far back right of the orchestra during a crescendo. Not only do you hear it clearly in space and time, but you hear the partials with greater accuracy and detail than any amplifier I've heard. The same with every other instrument or vocal.

It's not a great analogy, but for me it is like the difference between HD and conventional TV. Once you see HD there is no going back.

Now then, as I mentioned before, if your source, speakers or room have inaccuracies this amplifier will lay them bare and for some, like that famous line by Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men....they might not be able (or want) to handle the truth....:eek: And, of course, we have the issue this is a Class D amplifier with a SMPS to boot and everyone knows it can't compete with the best Class A amps.... :D

earflappin,
Stereo or mono Ncore? Do you recommend monos? Please clarify, in the case of monos, if you prefer long IC/short speaker cables.

As someone who heard at home the Atma-Sphere S30 OTL on a suitable speaker load, my own French ASA Pro Monitors, circa $5/pr, not the lesser "Baby" or "Standard" monitors, with pro-designed parallel outboard EQ circuit to flatten the sole impedance peak above the bass range @ 2.2 kHz: I can't emphasize how much value I put into your comments.

Amazingly, I did not notice at the time, but indeed I agree the OTL stage is huge lateral and height, but limited in depth. I was so enthused about the good things for which the OTL is known that I missed that weakness.

This thread has to be the most random **** off topic thread on the site, but also the most informative ! I just wanted to say thanks to Bruno for coming out with an ncore for us DIY guys. Bruno you will save me a ton of money when I start gearing up for my nearly cost no object HT next year. I plan to do 7 channels of ncore and 2-3x channels of the 2kw UCD for subs. Going to be using some Danley speakers to round out the theater .... now i just need to buy a house to hold all this year :)

I could draw you a house, but you need to come to the Netherlands for that.

Haha!!!

I had the same issues...I couldn't wait to own the M-60's which I did but they were just so fake to me. Happy when buying, happier when I sold.

Ha! Two best days in a boat owner's life: the day he buys it, the day he sells it!

16:00 hours after a long day on the water: "Boy that sure was fun skiing on your boat Mr. xxxx! Thanks for taking us out!"

16:30 hours after tying up at the dock: "Anyone want to help refuel and clean up the boat?...anyone?...anyone?..."

Still no reply to let me (us) know if there still is availability in the 3rd batch? I know this may be asking a lot but I would really like to know, i'd at least hope for a simple yes/no after having my card charged for 1500 dollars. My amp recently broke down and I am without an amp, I would just like to know if I am going to get my order in the 3rd batch or if I need to buy a temporary amp because of even longer delays and 3rd batch being already sold out.

Thanks

Hi Guyes
Just recieved my Ncore NC400 modules and SMPS600 PSU. It's all hooked up as good as it gets according to the description sent with modules etc. But when we switch on the modules only the middel row of LED (all RED) lits up and we don't get any sound. Sorry to say but the description is not logical. So we need to know if any other wires tex. The seperate black wire connect to the J9 audio input needs to be connected in a special way to get the modules up and running. Furthermore for J9 excatly which pins 1 to 4 is positive and schield in a unbalanced connection?
(We have tried to mount Pin 1 as signal and pin 2 as shield in J9 Audio Input which did not work. We also tried to replace the shield on the unbalanced connection with pin 4 in J9 which did not work either) ... so now we are not feeling comfortable experimenting with the connection any further!

Pls. Help guyes – so close and still miles away from getting sound out of the modules.

Pls. advice.

Last edited:
Just speaking for myself, I'm really not expecting the NCores to exceed my UCD400 HG with HxR monoblocks by a significant margin. IMHO, the UCDs are phenomenal amps in their own right. If the NCores are marginally more transparent in the mid-range and pure in the upper frequencies, then they will be worth the effort. That's not to say that I believe the UCDs are lacking in these areas.

I do know that my UCDs initially sounded good right away, but they definitely improved with time. At first blush, they were warmer and less open sounding than they are today and I suspect it will take some time for the NCores to strut their stuff. (And if you don't subscribe to break in, no problem, but don't even start to argue with me about what I know I have heard.:smirk: That's not the intent of this post.)

According to my tracking info, my NCores are to arrive today, but my enclosure won't be here for another week or so. To properly assemble things will take some time, but I will definitely post some impressions when electrons are flowing.

Hi Guyes
Just recieved my Ncore NC400 modules and SMPS600 PSU. It's all hooked up as good as it gets according to the description sent with modules etc. But when we switch on the modules only the middel row of LED (all RED) lits up and we don't get any sound. Sorry to say but the description is not logical. So we need to know if any other wires tex. The seperate black wire connect to the J9 audio input needs to be connected in a special way to get the modules up and running. Furthermore for J9 excatly which pins 1 to 4 is positive and schield in a unbalanced connection?
(We have tried to mount Pin 1 as signal and pin 2 as shield in J9 Audio Input which did not work. We also tried to replace the shield on the unbalanced connection with pin 4 in J9 which did not work either) ... so now we are not feeling comfortable experimenting with the connection any further!

Pls. Help guyes – so close and still miles away from getting sound out of the modules.

Pls. advice.

ZAP4EVER,

The separate wire on the J9 cable is the nAMPON wire and it needs to be tied to ground (low) for the amp to turn on. The braided shield also should be tied to ground. I don't recall the other color wires, but by looking at the picture on page 12 and understanding the empty box shown for the J9 connector is the nAMPON wire you should be able to map the other two wires to the appropriate XLR pins.

OK, the ncores arrived today. In fact they arrived before UPS said they were on the truck for delivery, go figure.

Q: Bruno,

1) is there a spec for the maximum wire size meant to be installed in the speaker connectors in the two wire connection method you described? ie in either the L or R side of the connection. (one of my pet peeves is reinventing the wheel)

2) do you know if there is a difference in the HF field on the L vs R of the SMPS600? (viewed from the connector side)

thanks for a lovely looking product. I still think round is weird though.

Alan Garren

OK, the ncores arrived today. In fact they arrived before UPS said they were on the truck for delivery, go figure.

Q: Bruno,

1) is there a spec for the maximum wire size meant to be installed in the speaker connectors in the two wire connection method you described? ie in either the L or R side of the connection. (one of my pet peeves is reinventing the wheel)

2) do you know if there is a difference in the HF field on the L vs R of the SMPS600? (viewed from the connector side)

thanks for a lovely looking product. I still think round is weird though.

Alan Garren

If I could just follow-up on your question a bit.....what is the optimal amount of physical isolation for the SMPS 600 from the nCore modules? I noticed in the nCore 1200 prototypes things were packed fairly closely leading me to believe this is a not an area of sensitivity.

earflappin,
Stereo or mono Ncore? Do you recommend monos? Please clarify, in the case of monos, if you prefer long IC/short speaker cables.

As someone who heard at home the Atma-Sphere S30 OTL on a suitable speaker load, my own French ASA Pro Monitors, circa $5/pr, not the lesser "Baby" or "Standard" monitors, with pro-designed parallel outboard EQ circuit to flatten the sole impedance peak above the bass range @ 2.2 kHz: I can't emphasize how much value I put into your comments.

Amazingly, I did not notice at the time, but indeed I agree the OTL stage is huge lateral and height, but limited in depth. I was so enthused about the good things for which the OTL is known that I missed that weakness.

My nCore's are currently set up in stereo. I am getting a second SMPS 600 only because I want to locate my nCores close to my speakers. I will put them into a stereo chassis, however, to preserve the option to add a second set of nCores if I elect to take my speakers active. The one SMPS 600 was more than sufficient to power both nCores on my high efficiency speakers. I prefer long IC's and short speaker cables.

I listened to the nCores for about 10 hours order the weekend....no listener fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.