Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex Ncore
Hypex Ncore
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2016, 05:48 AM   #10681
burkm is offline burkm
diyAudio Member

Thanks. But does this "matching" work for combinig two NCore NC400 to one SMPS1200 ? Looks to me, as if it is just hooking up one NCore NC400 and not two, doesn't it ? Employing two NCores should probably need some (logical ?) "interleaving" done, because they might carry opposing signal values in a worst case situation.

Last edited by burkm; 21st April 2016 at 06:07 AM.

Old 21st April 2016, 06:55 AM   #10682
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkm View Post
Thanks. But does this "matching" work for combinig two NCore NC400 to one SMPS1200 ? Looks to me, as if it is just hooking up one NCore NC400 and not two, doesn't it ? Employing two NCores should probably need some (logical ?) "interleaving" done, because they might carry opposing signal values in a worst case situation.
No, they should be simply connected in parallel, unless you are trying to do bridging. The worst case is not opposing signal values, but peak output on both amps at the same time, and there is not much you can do about that.

Old 21st April 2016, 07:25 AM   #10683
burkm is offline burkm
diyAudio Member

No, no bridging just ordinary 2-channel usage.

I had to choose this layout using just one power supply, because i lack the space inside the cabinet for adding another power supply. And the cabinet can't be any larger because there is only limited space left inside the (open) sideboard. The mono amp (NCore) for driving the center channel has to sit ontop of it already due to this. Both cabinets feature holes in bottom and top plates for thermal "management". The one on top has to "live" with the increased air temperature escaping from the top of the amp underneath...
Why would the combined peak power output be a problem ?
The SMPS1200A400 should have enough current reserve - from the datasheet at least - to supply it to both units at the same time, doesn't it ?
At 230VAC and a 4 Ohm load (1%THD/1kHz) it states 3x 340 Watt (typical) and 3x 400 Watt (max), 8 Ohm load (1% THD/1kHz) it states 3x 200 Watt (typical) and 3x 230 Watt (max). Am i missing something here ?
What about those control signals like "nFATA" if they have opposing status ? They are open collectors, i know ...

Last edited by burkm; 21st April 2016 at 07:53 AM.

Old 21st April 2016, 08:04 AM   #10684
Antana is offline Antana  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They are open collectors, i know ...
On the NC400 the DC error output is indeed an open collector output. You can just tie them together. If either of the NC400 goes into an error, the SMPS should shut down.

Old 21st April 2016, 08:19 AM   #10685
burkm is offline burkm
diyAudio Member

Thank you for helping me undestand, what has to be done ...
(Un-)Fortunately the cases have not arrived yet from Ghentaudio, they have been just "shipped" by air mail. Will probably take at least 2 - 4 days to Europe, i guess, because Ghentaudio is located in Honkong.

Old 24th April 2016, 10:23 AM   #10686
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am going to use 4 conductors for my speaker wires.
Any advantage of using a star-quad configuration compared to two twister pairs?

Old 24th April 2016, 03:52 PM   #10687
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why would the combined peak power output be a problem?
It isn't really a problem, just the worst case scenario.

Quote:
What about those control signals like "nFATA" if they have opposing status ? They are open collectors, i know ...
That is precisely the benefit of open collector - they allow easy combining of multiple signals.

Old 24th April 2016, 03:56 PM   #10688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
I am going to use 4 conductors for my speaker wires.
Any advantage of using a star-quad configuration compared to two twister pairs?
Depends on your topology. Are you using 4 conductors for 2 separate channels, or 4 conductors for a single signal? Are you concerned about external noise or crosstalk?

Old 24th April 2016, 04:12 PM   #10689
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am using 4 conductors for a single channels: I found two 1.6mm2 wires per terminal was easier to fit than a single 3.2mm2, and would also be easier to twist.

Quote:
Are you concerned about external noise or crosstalk?
I would like to reduce induced noise.

Old 24th April 2016, 04:42 PM   #10690
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
I am using 4 conductors for a single channels: I found two 1.6mm2 wires per terminal was easier to fit than a single 3.2mm2, and would also be easier to twist.

I would like to reduce induced noise.
If you only have a single channel there really isn't much difference - pretty much any 4 conductor twisted pair cable will have a topology that is pretty much "star quad" anyway.

Closed Thread

Hypex NcoreHide this!Advertise here!