ICEpower 50asx2 modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yoke -

You need a phase inverter, something second nature for us old guys who are familiar with tubes. If you had a balanced input, you already have an inverted phase, but if you are doing single ended inputs, you'll want to build one. I built one from a dual op-amp. The input signal goes to the non-inverting input of one amp, and the inverting input of the other amp. I've got the amps setup for a gain of 2. so one amp output goes to channel input 1 and the other amp output goes to channel input 2 on the ICEPower amp.

Hello,

I have a question, if I understand correctly the 50ASX2 BTL needs, necessarily, one signal phase shifter to be used?

type ..Unbalanced to balanced stereo preamplifier for BTL ! | eBay

Hello everybody, I'm a newbie here so don't be harsh with me :)

I'm quite new to this audio segment and I have a question regarding the 50ASX2 module.

I failed to spot this module in the wild with volume control. I started to wonder whether having a volume pot on this module is even possible.

Could one of you pros shed some light on this topic please?

thanks

You could probably connect a 10k volume pot directly to the input and get sound, but the modules are designed to be driven from a low-impedance source. This usually implies some buffer in between the pot and the ASX to get the impedances right :)

/U.
what you think about input line transformer?
my friend gave me a line transformer Audio Tekne 2:1 , between m-audio 410 and 50ASX2, the result was fantastic, very rich sound!!!
is it possible to use OEP, lundhal, sowter transformer to put a low impedance signal into the 50ASX2 like the Audio Tekne working?

I dont think you can rewire a 50ASX2 stereo to become a BTL. The BTL module is missing som parts compared to the stereo module, at least there is only one output choke.

What you can do is to feed them balanced signal from you DCX, connect speaker to both "hot" outputs, and hope for the best. It will work, but if its any good I cant tell.

I used modules SE BTL mode. Need ustonovit moschny jumper between two negative outputs of the module.
In its implementation of the buffer I applied on the lamp fahoinvertor Lundahl transformer.
Impressions are the best.

Attachments

• ???? 4.jpg
    ???? 4.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 1,044
Sorry I do not know much about electronics, I am going to buy the 50ASX BTL versión. I am not sure whether I should implement the connections shown in "Figure 17: Wiring diagram for the BTL module " or I just need to connect the audio source output Vout to Vin Channel 1 (leaving channel 2 unconnected). One more doubt: I have read about the need of an input buffer. In my case I will connect a DCX2496 (with modifications for volumen control) to this amp. Should a buffer be needed in this case? How can I know if I need it?

Hi!

I blew both fuses on the AUX power supply (don't ask how) and I would like to replace them.

So far, I found out that the fuse's specs are 250V, 400mA TE5 package. I also found some post claiming that they are made by Littelfuse.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a proper fuse replacement with said specs from Littelfuse. I've been looking all over Farnell but without success.

Could someone please help me out?

Some photos

Some of enclosure photos for 50asx2. sorry for bad quality

Attachments

• IMG-20140404-00014.jpg
    IMG-20140404-00014.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,730
  • IMG-20140404-00017.jpg
    IMG-20140404-00017.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 1,645
  • IMG-20140404-00015.jpg
    IMG-20140404-00015.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,606
  • IMG-20140404-00019.jpg
    IMG-20140404-00019.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 1,614
Last edited:
i've got 6 of these here, 3 btl and 3 ICE power 50ASX2 SE's, built into 3 k array piccolos (sub, 2 sats). i see that these modules have hf protection circuits, but when i measure the output with my scope with a sine at the input, i get a heck of a wide sine on the output.. it looks like there's a lot of hf on there, though i can't hear distortion on the speakers. has anyone else had this problem? i have it on every single module!

I've just finished connecting an 50AX2 SE module, ASX buffer and +-12V linear PSU.

Buffer is Nisbeth design using LM49710 OP amp :

https://theslowdiyer.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/project-files-opamp-buffer-for-icepower-asx-modules/

PSU if from diyinhk :

Classic Reference 78xx power supply linear regulator 3.3V 5V +-12V - DIYINHK

Sound is very nice and detailed :)

Definitly those 50ASX2 modules need an input buffer !

There is no caps at at the input buffer the amp being connected at the output of my Najda DSP.
I will evaluate the sound inpact with caps in few days.

Attachments

• ASXBufferv11populated.jpg
    ASXBufferv11populated.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 50ASX2Amp.jpg
    50ASX2Amp.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
See below the schematic and the component values of the buffer.

I was wondering if I must put R5 because as I HAD read that the input impedance of the module is not constant.
I've shorted it on the PCB and sound seems better, less sweet but subjectively more natural.

Any advice concerning this part (R5) ?

Part List
--------------------------------
C1 1uF - 2,2uF -> short
C2 10uF
C3 100nF
C4 100nF
C5 10uF

R1 470R
R2 47k
R3 1k
R4 1K (R4 sets gain G = 1+(R4/R3) -> 2)
R5 47R
D1 1N5296 (0.91mA CRD)
C10A 100pF (1206 SMD)

OUT JST XH or similar PINHD-1X3 1X03 PIN HEADER
PWR JST XH or similar PINHD-1X3 1X03 PIN HEADER

Attachments

• ASXBufferSchematic.png
    ASXBufferSchematic.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
The 50ASX2 two channel amp with ASX buffer is finished, ad working nicely :)
I will add a second 50ASX2 module and buffer in the case in few weeks.

Value used for R5 is 0 Ohms (short)
Value used for C10A on my board is 100pF (1206 SMD)
Some readings recommend a value around 40/50 pF.
The aim of this cap is to prevent OP amp from oscillating cf.

Working with Cranky Op-Amps

Last edited:
ICEpower 50asx2 Stereo Modules

I built a stereo amp with one of these modules- easy to hook up, study the documentation. I didn't have plugs to fit the on board sockets so I just soldered wires to the back side points on the board. Other than the inputs, outputs and power I think there is only an enable line to hook up. I mounted the module into a gutted small Marantz power amp case- looks nice and I used the input and output jacks. Easy project, sounds very good - I was surprised at how good it sounded. Bob Scates Springfield, VA

I built a stereo amp with one of these modules- easy to hook up, study the documentation. I didn't have plugs to fit the on board sockets so I just soldered wires to the back side points on the board. Other than the inputs, outputs and power I think there is only an enable line to hook up. I mounted the module into a gutted small Marantz power amp case- looks nice and I used the input and output jacks. Easy project, sounds very good - I was surprised at how good it sounded. Bob Scates Springfield, VA

Hi
you can source the cable at Ghent Audio, I was also surprised how good it sounded :)
I'm thinking of building a stereo amp with two 50ASX2 BTL modules !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.