ICEpower 50asx2 modules - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 04:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for replies. Indeed, one of the speakers had reversed polarity cables and it was out-of-phase. It's curios how it happened because I'm very meticulous...anyway, my mistake.
Concerning the sound, it's amazing how big is the difference now, the sound is rich, full, this little ICEpower module is superb. Great little piece of equipement.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:29 PM   #22
skood is offline skood  Australia
diyAudio Member

Would these be ok for efficient 8ohm speakers?
Old 28th January 2012, 10:17 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I have 2 pairs of speakers, one pair is 4ohm and the other is 8ohm. I don't see much difference concerning power when the speakers are powered by the 50asx2 module. This little module has enough power to drive even 8ohm speakers easily.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:31 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I've tested it on 86 dB 4 ohm speakers, it outperformed much bigger amps in sound quality, and the bass is very tight and controlled. By just looking at the module, would you believe that?
Old 6th February 2012, 02:51 AM   #25
PCarSBA is offline PCarSBA  United States
diyAudio Member

So is there any result from using the 50ASX2 stereo module in BTL mode. I am thinking of buying one for powering an active sub in case I can't fix the internal amplifier.

Has someone checked what other components besides the outout choke where omited on the BTL version? While I can see that a big inductor saves cost I am not so sure about other parts.....

Ingo
Old 6th February 2012, 03:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

In reviewing the 50ASX2 documentation and some images of the circuit board it looks like the jumper selects how the seond input side of L403 (channel 2 choke) is connected. In the SE version it is GND and in the BTL version it is the output of channel 1. See page 25 of the PDF document. This effectively bridges the output available at P104. You the could remove L402 and P101. But if you don't connect anything to P101 you might as well leave them alone.

I think this is all that is required to turn a the SE version into a BTL version. The inputs in BTL configuration calls for an external inverter for channel 1 to drive the module as shown on the same page. So there shouldn't be any configurations required on the module itself.

I am sure B&O doesn't want you to solder on the board and that is why they don't recommend you doing it but I doub't their statement "it can't be done"

Ingo
Old 10th February 2012, 07:08 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

From the Icepower 125ASX2 documentation:

"When the amplifier is used in BTL mode, the BTL sync pin must be pulled low (0V). By setting the BTL sync pin low, it is ensured that the switching frequencies of the
two separate amplifier channels are tied closely together for optimized THD performance."

The 50ASX2 module lacks a BTL sync circuit. Perhaps that is why B&O doesn't recommend
configuring the SE module for BTL operation.
Old 12th February 2012, 06:47 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

doublestop, the 50ASX2 data sheet shows specifications for BTL operation. B&O stated you can't reconfigure the module yourself from SE to BTL. However, B&O sells a BTL version and a SE version. There are two different part numbers.

Maybe the 50ASX2 doesn't use synching or there is a 0Ohm resistor that needs to be placed to turn on synching for BTL?
Old 15th February 2012, 07:01 PM   #29
we417 is offline we417  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Bal to singelend buffer for the 50asx2 modules

Hi!

Is there somebody who is making a Bal to singelend buffer for the 50asx2 modules, I like to use these modules with balance input.

Br

we417
Old 10th March 2013, 08:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default 125asx2

do you still have any for sale ?

best regards

Hide this!Advertise here!