ICEpower 50asx2 modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you very much for replies. Indeed, one of the speakers had reversed polarity cables and it was out-of-phase. It's curios how it happened because I'm very meticulous...anyway, my mistake.
Concerning the sound, it's amazing how big is the difference now, the sound is rich, full, this little ICEpower module is superb. Great little piece of equipement.

So is there any result from using the 50ASX2 stereo module in BTL mode. I am thinking of buying one for powering an active sub in case I can't fix the internal amplifier.

Has someone checked what other components besides the outout choke where omited on the BTL version? While I can see that a big inductor saves cost I am not so sure about other parts.....

Ingo

In reviewing the 50ASX2 documentation and some images of the circuit board it looks like the jumper selects how the seond input side of L403 (channel 2 choke) is connected. In the SE version it is GND and in the BTL version it is the output of channel 1. See page 25 of the PDF document. This effectively bridges the output available at P104. You the could remove L402 and P101. But if you don't connect anything to P101 you might as well leave them alone.

I think this is all that is required to turn a the SE version into a BTL version. The inputs in BTL configuration calls for an external inverter for channel 1 to drive the module as shown on the same page. So there shouldn't be any configurations required on the module itself.

I am sure B&O doesn't want you to solder on the board and that is why they don't recommend you doing it but I doub't their statement "it can't be done"

Ingo

From the Icepower 125ASX2 documentation:

"When the amplifier is used in BTL mode, the BTL sync pin must be pulled low (0V). By setting the BTL sync pin low, it is ensured that the switching frequencies of the
two separate amplifier channels are tied closely together for optimized THD performance."

The 50ASX2 module lacks a BTL sync circuit. Perhaps that is why B&O doesn't recommend
configuring the SE module for BTL operation.

doublestop, the 50ASX2 data sheet shows specifications for BTL operation. B&O stated you can't reconfigure the module yourself from SE to BTL. However, B&O sells a BTL version and a SE version. There are two different part numbers.

Maybe the 50ASX2 doesn't use synching or there is a 0Ohm resistor that needs to be placed to turn on synching for BTL?

First, remind myself of the first rule of electronics: "If You feel like asking a question, and propably won't understand the answer, You're better off trying something else" :)

That said, do these module need input buffer of some sort, if used after active XO like miniDSP or Behringer DCX? And if yes, it should be something custom made or can it be aqcuired commercially?

One of my future plans is to build 2/3-way active setup and I am trying to evaluate affordable and small form factor amps for it.

The designers manual says its optional, and from what I have read in this thread, they can be sensitive to input impedance.

Im planning on running a mini dsp with mine, but I am building the opamp input buffer per the designers manual. But the cost chart they show is not a cheap as you think build, I think I'm upto $70 in parts with the input buffer using OPA2132's and making the regulated power supply as well.

I find only small photo! What is element ?

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,205
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.