Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2011, 10:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about Arjen's MKII-2020 - What D I Need?

Hello,
Some questions here. Not too basic I hope. Need an amp for my garage sound system. All I listen to is cassettes on my Onkyo deck while working. Want to get an Arjen MKII-2020 or maybe a MKIII-2020 if the extra cost is worth it. I want to keep it real simple, so what do I need along with the prebuilt board? Can I leave the board naked and easily hook up power, speakers, rca in's? Basic stuff I know but I've just bought Lepai's before. Thanks for any ideas about how to get an Arjen board up and running.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Arjen Board

You can leave the board open (ala prototype mode). All you need is a 12 volt 3 amp power supply, RCAs, and means to connect the speakers.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Beware of the saftely problems of leaving the amp open, especially if kids are around.
Old 4th June 2011, 01:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

How is volume controlled in "prototype mode"? Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 03:05 AM   #5
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipriano View Post
How is volume controlled in "prototype mode"? Thanks
you have to add volume control (Potentiometer) by soldering it on. (unless your source has volume control) By the way Arjen's t-amps are good stuff, I use them.

gychang
Old 4th June 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Arjen T-Amps

If you don't have a volume control at the source you will need a volume control (potentiometer/variable resistor). Additionally, it is probably in your best interest to have a case of some sort to limit the chance of fire or electrical shock. A small wooden or plastic box (pencil box) will suffice.

If you queried Arjen he would have provided you with the above information. Most of his listings specify what additional parts are required to make a fully functional unit. However, it never hurts to ask here,

I have built 4 different Arjen T-Amps with minimal hassle. I had to make a few inquiries regarding my first unit, MKII, but otherwise no problems at all. Arjen and his wife are great, IMHO.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:59 PM   #7
pkozul is offline pkozul  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
If you don't have a volume control at the source you will need a volume control (potentiometer/variable resistor). Additionally, it is probably in your best interest to have a case of some sort to limit the chance of fire or electrical shock. A small wooden or plastic box (pencil box) will suffice.

If you queried Arjen he would have provided you with the above information. Most of his listings specify what additional parts are required to make a fully functional unit. However, it never hurts to ask here,

I have built 4 different Arjen T-Amps with minimal hassle. I had to make a few inquiries regarding my first unit, MKII, but otherwise no problems at all. Arjen and his wife are great, IMHO.
Hi all,

Dave, do you find that the T-amps give you enough bass? No need for adding a subwoofer?

Thanks,
Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!