Abletec ALC1000 any experience?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to find out for myself...
I see the modules are used in Martens Mono blocks, so they should be fairly OK.
Have sent a question to Abletec if it's possible for DIY'ers to get hold of some.
No response yet, but did it today, and it's weekend, so let's see....

Have made some monitors with a combo of Groundsound and Hypex which turned out great.

Whats your project?

Brgds,
Svein

I made an amplifier using the 2x90W module

Thanks for the link Wim,

If they cannot sell directly from Abletec in Norway I might have to order from the UK then :)

Would the module you used be the ALC0180-2300?

How is the sound quality?

They are much cheaper than the Hypex modules and have onboard PS.

- Svein

ALC0180-2300

Would the module you used be the ALC0180-2300?

Yes, that's the one I have.

How is the sound quality?

I don't have an opinion on this. Why not? I do have a Pragmatic class D amplifier and wrote something about it in the AudioXpress June 2009 issue. This amp is compared with the Hypex UcD180 using the LM4562 opamp, and the owner of the amp thought as well, the Pragmatic is in specs, outputpower, noise, THD not even close to the Hypex (the Pragmatic is so much worse), but the Pragmatic sounds more envolving. My favorite pianomusic is as good as it can be, but than its comparing Lang Lang with a Volodos, Richter or Sokolov. Lang Lang sounds virtuoso, clear, impressive, and so on, but he simply just doesn't get to the hearth of the music, he simply does not know, but he is enormous popular and you are not allowed to talk bad about him. The same people forget about a Volodos or a Sokolov. Same for Hypex, it is popular and used by so many DIY enthousiast, the Pragmatic is not popular at all and not used by them. I guess you will get my point. In fact everyhting is matter of taste and (maybe) believe ;)
Wim.

I've been wondering about the Abletec modules for a while myself. Not much info on the net regarding diy users. I guess the only way of knowing for sure is to try... So I'm about to order a pair of ALC1000's from Profusion.
Hopefully in the next month or so I'll be able to do some comparisons with my
UCD400/SMPS400 monoblocks....

John

The Abletec modules had been recommended in another thread, where I had been asking for proposals for a 3-way system.

The ALC0180 seemed to be such a good deal to me (less then 100 EUR for a stereo board, PSU included) that i decided to order two of them at profusionplc.com.

The parcel arrived today, about two weeks after ordering. Hopefully I'll find some time for testing them this weekend.

Meanwhile some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0476-2.jpg
    IMG_0476-2.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 2,780
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 2,656
  • IMG_0478-2.jpg
    IMG_0478-2.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 2,568
  • IMG_0481-2.jpg
    IMG_0481-2.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 2,515
Abletec module in AudioXpress

For those who are interested. In one of the upcoming AudioXpress issues (late 2011) I write something about the ALC0180-2300 module and how to implant it. Article includes an interview with the designer, Patrik Bostrom of Anaview. Anaview Sweden joint forces with Abletec. Abletec is responsible for the powersupply and Anaview for the class d amplifier itself.

Wim

PS. I have no commercial interest in abletec or Anaview. I am just a hobbiest like yourself.

For those who are interested. In one of the upcoming AudioXpress issues (late 2011) I write something about the ALC0180-2300 module and how to implant it. Article includes an interview with the designer, Patrik Bostrom of Anaview. Anaview Sweden joint forces with Abletec. Abletec is responsible for the powersupply and Anaview for the class d amplifier itself.

Wim

PS. I have no commercial interest in abletec or Anaview. I am just a hobbiest like yourself.

Hi Wim,

I'm highly interested, especially because information is still very rare about these modules in the web. Do you know how late will be 'late 2011'?
I'm already very curious ;)

Matthias

The article was exceptet by Ed Dell in Mai this year.

As you maybe know is the AudioXpress magazine acquired by Elektor this summer, and the team of Circuit Cellar (also Elektor) is doing the editing now, I will write the editor tomorrow and see if they have a actual date of publishing.

I know I could have published it here, but feel AudioXpress needs 'reading stuff' otherwise they will not survive, and that would be a pitty. And I feel a hardcopy / magazine is to prefer over any publishing on the internet.

Enclosed 2 photos of my Abletec amplifier.

Wim

Attachments

• fig 6 msword only.jpg
    fig 6 msword only.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,475
  • fig 8 msword only.jpg
    fig 8 msword only.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
Hi Wim,

I am looking forward to read your article in AudioXpress. I also read your article regarding the Pragmatic amp. Very entertaining and interesting.
Keep up the good work!

Pictures of the Abletec amp look great. Did the connectors come with the module?

Regarding Anaview: didn't they collaborate with Hypex a while ago?

- Svein

to configure the ALC0180 for bridged mono

Hi Matthias,

I have an idea how, but just to make things sure I did email the Abletec/Anaview company and they wrote that they will take care to upload a connection diagram in this thread.

Do notice: the bridge configuration is only to be used with 8 ohm load. Accordng to the Abletec infosheet the output power will be 180W into 8 ohm.

Wim

to configure the ALC0180 for bridged mono

Just post a message regarding the bridge mode config and just a few minutes later I received a mail from Abletec/Anaview with the connection diagram.

Enclosed you can find the connection diagram they send, this to connect the ALC0180 in the correct way for bridge mode use.

Wim

Attachments

• bridge mode Connection-Diagram-ALC0180.jpg
    bridge mode Connection-Diagram-ALC0180.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,678
Just post a message regarding the bridge mode config and just a few minutes later I received a mail from Abletec/Anaview with the connection diagram.

Enclosed you can find the connection diagram they send, this to connect the ALC0180 in the correct way for bridge mode use.

Wim

Thanks a lot for your help!
I still got no anwser. Obviously this is the difference between a regular and a VIP customer :rolleyes:
Or perhabs I just used the wrong email adress ...

Do notice: the bridge configuration is only to be used with 8 ohm load. Accordng to the Abletec infosheet the output power will be 180W into 8 ohm.

The bass drivers I want to use with them are 13 ohm. So should be no problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.