Abletec ALC1000 any experience? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2011, 11:14 AM   #21
DaDude is offline DaDude  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DaDude
Hi, I went for it and just completed building 2 ALC1000 and 2 ALC0300 amps.
Have only been able to test on old passive speakers, so difficult to say too much about SQ, but it seems promising so far.

My plan is to go active and build some new speakers for this project. But it may take a while.....

Regarding pops and clicks:

Power on: The amplifier itself only give you a relay click after a couple of seconds not audible in the speakers.

Power off: A slight click in the speakers, but IMO it should not be loud enough too damage any connected speakers.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:38 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

And here some pictures for anyone interested:

Abletec w cover.JPG

Abletec wo cover.JPG

Aletec back.JPG

First time attaching pictures, so hope this works....

- Svein
Old 12th September 2011, 02:55 PM   #23
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Svein,

Your build looks great.

Thanks for your report. The price of these modules is certainly attractive, especially the 0180.

Pops and clicks are bad in my world, as I'm actively amplifying compression drivers. But I have some speaker protection boards that could solve that, and the DC protection issue.

Cheers.
Old 15th September 2011, 05:35 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Code:
Hi, I went for it and just completed building 2 ALC1000 and 2 ALC0300 amps.
These amplifiers look great. Serious stuff.

The ALC0180 shows also a little sound/buzz when switched on, but it is so little that if you blink your eye (ear?) you will not notice it, and for sure there is no danger for your speakers what-so-ever.
Old 15th September 2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Matty is offline Matty  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimdehaan View Post
The ALC0180 shows also a little sound/buzz when switched on, but it is so little that if you blink your eye (ear?) you will not notice it, and for sure there is no danger for your speakers what-so-ever.
I can confirm that. I tried the ALC0180 with my BMS4592ND.
There is a pop which is hearable but definetely far away from being a serious (technical) issue.

Regards
Matthias
Old 16th December 2011, 07:10 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Wim: just read your article in AudioXpress both the test and interview (after subscribing which is entirely your fault
A lot of good information and a great read.

As far as I could tell you liked the modules after some months of use, but did not compare against any other class-d amps or describe your experience with the SQ in much detail.
Might not be your style, but I found more SQ description in the pragmatik test, and would have enjoyed the same this time around also.

Btw, this is propably because I am very curious how other people have valued these modules besides me. So not really to critizise

I have used my Abletec amps quite a bit recently for full range speakers just for fun, and I am quite impressed. Especially with the ALC0300-1300 modules.
They sound very 'natural' and 'well behaved' with great power resources.

Do you know anything about timeline for the AMS based modules from Abletec???

Brgds,
Svein
Old 17th December 2011, 08:38 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I made a sort of "review" in a conversation with Patrik at anaview about the alc0300 modules that I translated from Swedish when I saw this thread.
I really like the amps so don't read to much into the minor drawbacks, they seem to be more related to other things than the amps.

The amps are playing really god, with a dynamic drive that I'm doubtful to if I have ever heard earlier.
They are picking details in all registers with some sort of confident ease and
they have a musical drive that makes it fun to listen.
I rather sing along then stomp my feet , to the great pleasure of our dog and to my wifes dispaire.
They sometimes have a tendency to be a bit bright/slender but on the other hand they never tip over being to bright .
Female vocalists come across with great energy and it holds together very well.
This comment about bright or slender is on a very small margin and is not really a problem
you just have to be a bit careful about surrounding equipment, cables, preamps and so on.
They have a nice tone and are percived as credible.
A grand piano is percived as a large instrument and not just a collection of keys.
One other example: Pink Floyd ”Bring the boys back home” from ”The wall”.
I have always had a problem liking that track, always seemed absolutly unnessesary on the album.
Just a lot of noice and screaming and that's betwen ”Vera” and ”Comfortably numb” that are true pices of art.
With the setting I have rigth now I can play that ”unnessesary” number at very loud levels and
everything is still noisy and screaming with a lot of energy but now it suddenly makes sense.
At the very end of the song the hair on my neck just stands on its own, I'm thanking you for that :-)
To follow a base playing scales is a true pleasure and the amps also have great abillity to articulate
drums and other percussion instruments. If the drummer hits a little bit harder on whatever or if
the baseplayer is slamming the strings it comes across in a very convincing way.
This dynamic style of playing can on occasion be a bit much on really hard piano transients though,
I haven't heard It more than a very few times so it's really not a problem.
Stagepresentation is very good at the back of the stage (drums bass song etc) but can tend to be a
bit vorried at the front of the stage.
I'm quite shure that this is due to the present speakerplacement and it will be adjusted in due time.
It's not an easy task to get a decent setup in my room due to the sloping sealing but I'm slowly getting there.
I'm not getting these nice results if I'm playing directly from the computer/soundcard instead of the main setup,
with the ”Aikido preamp” and the modified Sony scd555es player.
Then it gets to much of poow tjoff and so on, sitting in the sofa blinking wondering when it all will settle down a bit.
Ambience got a little short then as well. Overly controlled, without bounce or square you might call it.
Maybe the soundcard doesn't like the low input impedance or the long cables (7,5m Mogami gold ballanced).
It sounds great over the ”Lars / Gigaworks-dac” as well (preamp still connected).
I havn't tried any other sources besides these but evidently they can make quite a difference.

Had some friends over and it seems that we agree on most of what I have described so you should be pleased with yourself.

Best regards.

Last edited by dahlberg; 17th December 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 17th December 2011, 01:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dahlberg,

great review/ feedback.

I have sort of similar experience as you regarding SQ, but I have a difficult time to compare against other amps since I only have active speakers.
Therefore I had to test on new speakers without any amp to use as reference.

Good to hear others are happy with these modules. They are very attractive when it comes to price/performance ratio IMO.

Svein
Old 5th January 2012, 08:31 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Hi Svein,

the connectors shown on my pictures have to be ordered additionally.
You find them at the bottom of the ALC0180 product detail page under "Related parts and parts bought in addition to this item":

ALC-MP133-1.
1.79 EUR per piece

Matthias
For the ALC0180-2300, Profusion only supply the multi-way signal in and power out connector/wiring.
Mains power in and 2x speaker out connectors are also required. These are:

Con1 (Mains) JST VHR-3N
(JST (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS)|VHR-3N|CRIMP HOUSING, 3WAY, 3.96MM | Farnell United Kingdom)

Con6, Con7 (Speakers) JST VHR-2N
(JST (JAPAN SOLDERLESS TERMINALS)|VHR-2N|CRIMP HOUSING, 2WAY, 3.96MM | Farnell United Kingdom)

Andy
Old 10th January 2012, 03:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Question Connecting unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs on ALC0180 modules

The ALC0180-2300 modules are Class II double insulated and thus there is no earth (ground) via the mains cable.

I need to connect long coax, unbalanced preamp output cables to the ALC0180 balanced inputs.

I could simply connect the central coax signal wire to the + terminal and the shield to the - terminal. However, I suspect I will have a hum problem with this and potentially an Electrostatic Discharge risk to my inputs.

Am I right in thinking that I do need a mains earth for the ALC0180 which I link to the - inputs and hence the preamp cable shield?

This should remove the hum and ESD risk.

Do I also need to connect the ground to the ALC0180 pcb ground also or can I just leave it floating?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!