Hifonics BXi2006d not coming out of protect. Any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a Hifonics BXi2006d from someone who quit the car audio hobby a while ago and I'm trying to get it going on some L7's but the amp is stuck in protect mode. I don't have speakers hooked up to it yet so I know there is no wires crossed there. I have a hifonics bxi1606d running now just fine so I know the RCA's and power/ground are good. Big 3 is done, all pure copper flex 1/0 pos and neg front to back running stock 130A alt, stock batt and one yellow top. I looked at the guts and cannot find anything that looks like a problem. The Guy did tell me that long ago a cap blew and was replaced but the amp worked fine after that until now. Last time I had a problem with my 1606d I cracked it open, found a burnt resistor and replaced it, that was it. Not sure which direction to go with this one. These amps do not have fuses so its just an in line 150a fuse protecting the amp. Any advice or experience shared would be much appreciated. Thanks

Not sure how to move this but in needs to be in the car audio section. Sorry for the noob move.

Attachments

• IMG_20110521_232203.jpg
    IMG_20110521_232203.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20110521_232220.jpg
    IMG_20110521_232220.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20110521_232259.jpg
    IMG_20110521_232259.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I have finally found time to get into this thing after reading some info and watching a little DIY video. The parts I found to be showing no resistance were the MOSPEC U16C20A x2, and MOSPEC U16C20C x2. I have removed these and powered up the amp to test. It does come out of protect with these removed. I have found a supply house (Newark-Element 14)online that will charge about $6 for the four parts, $20 handling, and $5 shipping.
Can anyone tell me if there is a better/cheaper supply house? Also, is there anything else I need to check on the amp other than the fets all around? I don't know much yet but trying to learn and make sure I do it right.
Thanks
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

post this in the car audio subforum. the mospec chips you took out are the diodes. without them the rest of the amp has no power. so if it comes out of protect with the diodes removed then you probably have an issue in the output section. One of the fets threre are probably shorted internally.

Thanks JLT. I tried testing all of the output transistors and did not see anything that was showing low or no resistance. Are the diodes supposed to show 0 resistance? They looked bad in appearance too so I figured they were the problem. I made a mistake originally posting here and did not want to start a new thread and make it worse but it looks like that is what I should do in the proper section, sorry for the mistake.

I'm gonna work on learning a lot more before I mess with this again. I'm an idiot for even trying at this point. I see there are many places to learn and I need to soak up a lot more knowledge from them and come back to this prepared. Thanks again for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.