STA350BW - Quite interesting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A fascinating chip, 8 biquads per channel is enough. But darn! I just purchased a spare miniDSP this week :) This chip would be ideal for my new suitcase-portable system...

I see the heatsink is facing down to the PCB, that is bad - this is intended for low-power applications only. Additionally, the distortion is high, rather like the TDA7498 I just struggled with for so long, just trying to achieve the results published on their data sheet.

The chip is the same (tiny) size as the TDA7498. Just a barely adequate HiFi power amplifier. Not audiophile.

I also note that there is no distortion vs frequency curve given. This was the area where the TDA7498 got into real trouble, with excessive distortion above 1KHz.

Actually, this new ST product range is looking quite interesting. They are obviously going after compact HiFi and active speakers in a big way. The STA350 can drive two stereo speakers plus a subwoofer, two stereo channels, or a mono channel. Quite a nice idea, this 'FFX'. Here is the press release: STMicroelectronics News: STA350BW Sound Terminal 2.1-channel high-efficiency digital audio system

They are consumer chips, but the Application note provided the data I was looking for, and the performance is actually much higher fidelity than the TDA7498. I attach the distortion vs frequency curve below.

The DSP is 24-28bit, less than the 48 bits of the MiniDSP, but probably adequate for their target market.

So where do I buy an application board? Where do I get the GUI control software they talk about in the application note? I have an application ready to drop this chip straight in :)

Attachments

• THD_vs_Distortion_STA350.gif
    THD_vs_Distortion_STA350.gif
    43.5 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.