Help a newbie build his first amp (powercaps for a 2024)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I have spent the last 3 weeks searching the internet and the last week searching the forums looking for what power capacitor would be best for my first build. I have found many a good things to read and have a head full of ideas for my next build but for now I just need a simple answer so I can get it started. I have picked up a cheap tripath 2024 based board and have decided to upgrade a few things. No board mounted jacks, pots, plugs. Put it in a nice case with good connectors. Upgrade the filter caps to Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Crosscap Capacitors. The last piece of the pie is the power cap/caps. From what I have seen upgrading this is one of the basic important mods. The more I read the more confused I am. I have lots of room in my case and I figured I would have to mount it off the board anyway. So can some one tell me please what size and or rating would be the best to go buy?

Attachments

• 2024.jpg
    2024.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 232
Power Caps????

I am not quite sure about what you are trying to inquire. Based on the photo you attached, the red caps are the output decoupling capacitors.

Power caps are normally a part of the power supply. The photo of the board has no "Power Caps". There are also a couple of on board tank capacitors. These caps act as a reservoir of electricity when there are transients in the music, i.e. demands for power - as a crescendo in a symphonic work.

I sense you may be asking about the later, but I am not sure.

Try to be a little more specific. I know being a newbie it may be problematic, but words do matter, and when dealing with electricity you need to be "dead" on with what you are saying or you may just end up "dead".

Davet,
Yes I believe you hit it on the head. Thank you. The on board tank capacitors are what i am referring to. I have seen a couple DIY articles that indicate it is beneficial, cheap and easy to increase the size of them. The problem I have is I cant seem to find anything other than "bigger is better" that would give me a specific size/rating or even some type of general go by to safely determine it myself. the last thing i want to do is fry my first project.

I forgot to mention that i am using a 2amp 12v power supply. Here is the one i ordered.
12 Volt DC - 2 Amp Power Supply

I was inspired by these two projects but after reading them countless times I am confused. the pics don't match what is written in some places and I just want to be safe
Class D Stereo Amplifier-The Chairman Mao
Let's Build a Class D Amplifier!

I am trying to keep it real simple as I don't have a clue what i am doing (trying to learn as i go). Thanks again for the help!

Even Newbies have to start somewhere

I will look over the threads and the other things you referenced. I will try to get back to you within the next 24-hours.

In the mean while take a look at Tripath WIKI Some of what you are looking for is there. If nothing else it will broaden your knowledge of these amps and the terminology.

Reviewed the referenced webpages

I looked over the links you posted. The site refers to the power "filter" capacitors.

I would follow his recommendations for the capacitance and voltage ratings. The two cans in the middle of the board are the Power Filter Caps (PFC). The cans closer to the edges of the board are the inductors.

Once you remove the power filter caps you can determine whether you can replace the caps in place on the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) with the new caps. If not, run wires to the caps off the board as is done in the articles. If at all possible place the caps as close as possible to the PCB.

Increasing the size of the PFCs has yielded an increase in overall performance, in my experience. The return on the effort depends on the speakers and your music selection.

If I can be of further assistance let me know.

I am following everything you are saying. I see the importance of knowing what the proper name of things are and your explanation is very helpful. I understand a lot clearer what I was asking but I still have the same question as when I stared. I get that bigger is better but The problem I have is I cant seem to find anything other than "bigger is better" that would give me a specific size/rating or even some type of general go by to safely determine it myself. Can you recommend a PFC for this application? The PCB currently has 2x 470uf, 25v power filter caps.

so after a little trip to the store with little options available I returned with two caps. one 4700uF 25v, and one 4700uF 35v. will these work? one or both? should i go see if i can find something else?

from what i have read and think i understand (correct me if i am wrong) the 4700uF (capacitance?) is how much energy is stored up. So it seems like going bigger and bigger has little potential for harm. but to a certain point it has no true value as the circut behind it could only draw so much at one time. just lots of back up that would never get used.

The volts? not real clear on this one. Is the rating it how much the cap can handle before it blows? or is that how much power comes out of it?

I hope i am on the right path with this?
help and insight appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.