Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JL Audio Amp Defective (Touching Gains Increase volume)?

Hi,

I have an odd issue here. For the last few months i've noticed that my volume in my front AND/OR rear speakers increases or decreases randomly at times It also seems like when this happens there's distortion in the signal.. Sometimes I can go a day or two without this happening once, or I can have it happen a dozen times in an hour. Anyway, I notice that when I touch the gains to adjust them with a screwdriver the same, exact, effect occurs! So for example, if right now I went and put the volume on a lower level, say 6 and listened and it were fine and I just touched the front channel gains with the screw driver the volume would distort a little and increase slightly. And when I remove the screwdriver that volume increase is still present. The same thing with the rear gain.

I have a Dodge Ram with the RER OEM Head Unit with the front door (full frequency signal tapped) as well as an audio Control LC6i. When I told a local installer about my issue he said it sounds like the amp since just touching the gains cause that issue. I just thought I'd get some expert advice here first on whether or not it could be the LC6i, the RCA Cables, or some other potential issue. Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice here.
Old 26th April 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know this is a really odd issue from what I understand, but can anyone offer some insight as to whether it can be anything "other" then the amp in this case? Again, anytime I as much as "touch" the front or rear gains on my 300/4v2 Amp you hear a little distortion and slight volume increase on the front or rear speakers (whichever I'm touching with the metal screw driver). When I take the screwdriver away, the increase in sound remains the same.

This wouldn't be an issue if it were only when I was touching the gains, the problem is that this slight increase/decrease occurs randomly at times and without touching the amp in any way. So I guess the easiest thing to ask is could this be anything other then the amp?
Old 27th April 2011, 06:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just an update: I had this oddity looked at and it appears it's a bad circuit board in the amp and some bad solder connections which are causing the problems i'm having. The AMP is under full warranty through JL and they are replacing the board. Thanks for all the replies and input here. Oh..wait. Well, nothing wrong with thanking yourself.
Old 27th April 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is quite amazing how much exposure and help some threads get on this board and how absolutely little others get. Its as if people really only care about their own interests and their own threads. I'm glad you got it fixed. Sounds to me like a pot or its soldering points went bad.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

@ Xtreme,

thank you. Yeah, I was a little surprised not a single person bothered to respond to offer help or even a suggestion myself as when I went to get this checked out, 3 DIFFERENT PEOPLE all said the amp board/soldering issue. You just did as well, so you are the 4th. So clearly, this wasn't something that was "that" uncommon if 4 different people all knew within seconds of hearing the issue. I'm a member on a couple of other forums and anytime I can answer (even remotely) a question for someone, I don't hesitate to offer support.

Clearly, that is not the case on this forum. Thank you for your post, though, it's still appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!