Class D step-up possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to step up the output voltage of a class D amp. Did some searches and didn't like the answers :confused: that said the output transformer needs to pass the lowest audio frequency. Can somebody explain this in more detail? If the output transformer passes a suitable HF PWM signal it seems possible. No doubt I'm missing something- never worked with class D. I thought isolation amps that want down to DC used a method like this. Been wrong before though.

Thanks,
CH

The PWM signal contains all the audio frequencies plus the carrier HF. Feeding the unfiltered PWM signal to a big transformer is not a good idea due to possible EMI (leakage inductance would do the output inductor job).

The transformer needs a big enough core and a high enough amount of primary turns to prevent saturation at low frequencies. Exactly as every other audio step up/down transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.