Hifimediy T4 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also read in this forum that a man from Iceland uses a T1 (or T2) in a recording studio...

It's a 41Hz Amp4 actually :) It's similar to the T1 I believe, although it has a STA517B output stage.

He loves it, but at around 30W it lacks a little bit of power for his NS-10 monitors when rocking out and mastering drums. We're upgrading him to a 41Hz Amp15 soon. (Project been going on far too long! Seeing the end of it soon.)

It's a 41Hz Amp4 actually :) It's similar to the T1 I believe, although it has a STA517B output stage.

He loves it, but at around 30W it lacks a little bit of power for his NS-10 monitors when rocking out and mastering drums. We're upgrading him to a 41Hz Amp15 soon. (Project been going on far too long! Seeing the end of it soon.)

:scratch2: .... Amp4 doesn't have STA517B...because in this case it would be similar to T4 and it wouldn't suffer any leakage of power at 30W (it can be configurated in two ways... for 8 ohm -at 180W per channel- or for 4ohm at 300W per channel, if I'm not wrong..refer to datasheet).:p
As you can see in the link above, Amp4 is the "original" TK2050 (TC2000 controller + TP2050 amplifier)...T1 has Tripath TC2000 again, but amplifier is the STA508 or the STA510 by ST Microelectronics.

However it is good to know that this kind of amplifiers are employed in recording studios:cool:....

Amp15 seems to be a very good amp...but IMHO T4 value/price ratio is better....and don't know how much worse than Amp15...but I would be very curious to compare STA517B and TA3020...actually they seem to be the best power*sound quality/price amps ever made....

Ah....:sorry: sorry..I didn't know this particular...

But so how can it be that it doesn't have enough power?
When I powered a pair of Tannoy System 8 monitor, I had to lower volume because of risk of damage speakers(at about 85-90% power) I and a friend of mine listened something crackling...and input wasn't from a DAC with max output of about 1.7V, but a standard (NAD) cd player...I'm not sure about source of crackling noise but, lowered a bit volume, I can say you that I and the other guy had to shout quite a lot to understand what we were saying, and with this sound pressure, there wasn't minimal trace of distortion (we were listening to Telarc Super Cd Test).
However Yamaha monitors has lower efficiency (I'm not sure...right?) and perhaps ( I don't know how did you customized it) this modified version didn't manage to extract the whole power of that chip...or simply input was too low(in this case the problem is gain...don't know much, but probably there are some resistences to change).
What make me dubious is that with 180W available (probably more than 100W undistorted), at around 30W there's a leakage of power....:scratch:
Everything could be!

:up:
Now it's all clear...that's the difference..I'm running that chip in T4 configuration at something more than 50V:p.

Thank you for the enlightenment Kristleifur:).

NP :)

Must sound amazing at 50V!

Could anyone make a comparison between T4 and a TA3020 or TA2022?
I think it would be interesting compairing this high power DDX-class T amplifiers...

There are some comparisons between the TA2022 and different Tripath chipsets over at 41Hz.com - the TA2022 is usually not picked for its sound quality, but perhaps rather ease of build and reasonable amounts of power. It sounds good, but is an earlier design AFAIK, and sounds a little rougher from what I've read.

If you're interested: I have directly compared TK2050 and TA3020 amps - 41Hz Amp4 and Amp15. Very similar. 99% the same. I prefer the TK2050-based Amp4. It's more magical and musical. The Amp15 is a little more clean and subtle. The difference is very very very small though ... My conclusion on TK2050 vs TA3020: Doesn't matter which :) When you've got a good TK2050 or TA3020 amp, and it's powerful enough, then stop :) Then it's time to upgrade other components or add more amp channels for bi- and triamping.

NP :)

Must sound amazing at 50V!
[...]
My conclusion on TK2050 vs TA3020: Doesn't matter which :) When you've got a good TK2050 or TA3020 amp, and it's powerful enough, then stop :) Then it's time to upgrade other components or add more amp channels for bi- and triamping.

Yeah..it sounds really amazing! I still don't believe it...:p.

About your conclusion Kristleifur...it's exactly what I'm thinking about...this is the reason why I'm looking around for a similar amp...I want to power my subwoofers in Transflex configuration...I think I will buy another T4...ghghgh
Then there's a list of diabolic improvements...

I'm about to order one or more T4's from HIFIMEDIY. Here's what they show for supply: "*Power supply: Dual AC; AC38V-0-38V (30 – 40 is ok) or single DC 36 – 54V".

They sell a Meanwell single 48 volt supply that I believe is the one they recommend for this amp. Do you recommend I get that supply, or one of the Connexelectronics ones?

Thanks,
Rod

They sell a Meanwell single 48 volt supply that I believe is the one they recommend for this amp. Do you recommend I get that supply, or one of the Connexelectronics ones?

This question came up in the other Hifimediy thread. Short answer: unless money is a major issue, go with Connex. The quality is higher, the size smaller, and the price only slightly more expensive. :cool:

Like SoldierAnt76, I read that Connex quality is higher (but actually...what makes it really better?),

Higher frequency, lower interference, smaller size, better build quality than the Meanwell clones (not the genuine articles).

however I don't believe you will listen any difference(even if I would like to try)
so just get the cheapest then :)

...if it was so...can somebody post some opinion about a good PSU for T4?
see my post #35 in this same thread

The ones sold by Hifimediy are original Meanwell, not clones...(in this case there would had not been any discussion...Connex PSU of course!!!).
Generally I hate clones of any product...

For sure. I wasn't attempting to imply that Hifimediy's Meanwell supplies were clones and, as I have no way of knowing one way or the other whether this is the case, apologise unreservedly to Hifimediy if my post could have been taken as such.

My conclusion on TK2050 vs TA3020: Doesn't matter which :) When you've got a good TK2050 or TA3020 amp, and it's powerful enough, then stop :) Then it's time to upgrade other components or add more amp channels for bi- and triamping.

I found the differences between a TK2050 and TA3020 not so inconsiderably as you describe. The TA3020 can control 4 mosfets and can handle much more supply voltage. In the end you can achieve up to 300 W per channel. With a TK2050 this not possible. My comparisons were made with a SMPS supplied TC2000/TK2050 (bridged) combo against torroidal supplied TA3020 with 4 mosfets. I found the TA3020 more relaxed, deeper and wider in soundstage. Even at lower Volumes the TA3020 pushed more bass. Maybe this is reasoned by the torroidal. But the amp 4 similar boards are also great for the budget.

Just my 50 cents

Like SoldierAnt76, I read that Connex quality is higher (but actually...what makes it really better?), however I don't believe you will listen any difference(even if I would like to try)...if it was so...can somebody post some opinion about a good PSU for T4?

Cristi has posted on this subject in the other thread. Basically, the Connex power supplies are designed from the ground up to be used with audio electronics, while Meanwells (the real ones) are simply generic SMPS units. That said, no one has so far reported any real difference in sound quality between the two.

Price used to be the biggest argument for using Meanwell instead of Connex or another type/brand of power supply. But these days, a "genuine" Meanwell SMPS is about as expensive as a Connex supply ($43 for a S-350 Meanwell from Hifimediy versus $55 for a SMPS300R from Cristi).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.