Hifimediy T4 board - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2011, 11:54 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advices,
as I said, concrete comparison will start when the attenuator arrives. So I can connect same CD Player to the T4 as I have done it to the T2 with much better results.

Quote:
if you carefully match the levels, ignore the noise which should be in-amp gain-related,
this is in fact a new area where I never moved into before. I have to read more basics. There is an interesting thread from member Panomaniac meanwhile existing.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:58 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Thanks for the advices,
as I said, concrete comparison will start when the attenuator arrives. So I can connect same CD Player to the T4 as I have done it to the T2 with much better results.

this is in fact a new area where I never moved into before. I have to read more basics. There is an interesting thread from member Panomaniac meanwhile existing.
I hope whatever knowledge I may have is useful to you my good sir! I'm interested in what your results may be.

What I mean by level matching is that the amps must both play equally loud - almost exactly. In a comparison like this, the system that is a tiny little bit louder is almost always perceived as "better sounding" Even when the volume difference is too small to be immediately obvious, our perceptual system will interpret louder as 'hey this is better I like this one'
Old 8th May 2011, 11:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Oh sorry, I really thought you meant a technical issue where some experiences in electronics were obligation.

I think I can seperate the sound quality very well even then when the vol. levels are not exactly the same. For example soundstage and color timbre are properties which can determined easily (for me at least) independent from vol. levels. But you are right: the vol. levels should be as equal as possible to make the decisions more easier and safer.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:13 AM   #24
Billyo is offline Billyo  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm currently building a pair of speakers for music and have selected the Hifimediy 2x100@4 ohms for the amp, but later on, probably want to expand to a 5.1 HT system.

Would I just get a couple more of the same TK2050s to make the 6 channels (1 for the front L&R, 1 for the rear L&R and 1 for the subwoofer and center)?

Would running a subwoofer and centre speaker on each channel of one tk2050 unit be courting disaster in some way.. given what might be fairly significant differences in power usage between each channel?
sorry if its a dumb question... I'm definitely "learning on the job" here.
Old 27th May 2011, 08:52 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I just got the T4 and I am an AMP NOOOOB. I got the meanwell power supply with it as well. How do I hook it up properly? Im worried about hooking up the wrong polarity and blowing the amp. Also the Input has 3 wires red white and black how do I hook that to my preamp
Old 27th May 2011, 11:31 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage440 View Post
I just got the T4 and I am an AMP NOOOOB. I got the meanwell power supply with it as well. How do I hook it up properly? Im worried about hooking up the wrong polarity and blowing the amp. Also the Input has 3 wires red white and black how do I hook that to my preamp
figured it out It sounds absolutely amazing
Old 28th May 2011, 10:15 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
figured it out It sounds absolutely amazing
Congrats - fine to read that. BTW: didn't you notice any ground hum out from the speakers ? I hooked the T4 up with a torroidal. Maybe this is the problem.

And which speakers you connected into this system ?
Old 28th May 2011, 11:20 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Congrats - fine to read that. BTW: didn't you notice any ground hum out from the speakers ? I hooked the T4 up with a torroidal. Maybe this is the problem.

And which speakers you connected into this system ?
There is no hum, the Meanwell power supply works great. I bought the amp to use for a upcoming active speaker build. I just wanted to make sure it was good enough for the project before I bought all the speakers. I tested it with the "aviatrix" diy speakers from parts express, they are the tower version. The difference between my $1000 Onyko receiver's on board amp vs. the T4 is night and day. The T4 has distortion or coloration. It made the speakers way more dynamic and clear. This is my first chip amp, I cant wait to try more.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:44 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

How do I hook up the power down circuit? I don't want to unplug the power supply when I want to shut it off.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:53 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The difference between my $1000 Onyko receiver's on board amp vs. the T4 is night and day. The T4 has distortion or coloration. It made the speakers way more dynamic and clear.
As you seem to be and me (in fact) are not the experts in techniqal issues I would not stongly explain the differences this way. AFAIK 180 watts per channel in the T4 should not produce any coloration/distortion at lower volume levels. Especially when these are matched with 8 Ohm speakers as like as recommended for the T4 from the designer.

BTW: "coloration" and "clear" should be more contradictory descriptions in audio IMHO

Hide this!Advertise here!