flea powered Class D - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default flea powered Class D

For reasons of my own I prefer low powered amps and have been playing with Class AB and Class A. Now I'm curious about Class D because it appears to have evolved to an advanced stage. Unfortunately it also appears very DIY unfriendly. I see most people buy ready built modules. These modules offer very large power outputs for their size. And as I started off saying, I don't need high power.

So I am curious - are there technical benefits to low power if using Class D ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th April 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

You could take a look at this: 1pcs,2x3 watt class-D amp for batt powered applications | eBay
2x3w in a very small package
Old 10th April 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For reasons of my own
Loosely translates to the essence of DIY
Class D appears DIY unfriendly because it uses small form factor surface mount parts. Most people aren't equipped to deal with those builds. And I've yet to hear a DIYer brag about his homemade multilayer PCBs.
I've seen the Sure modules that are rated for 2W/channel. There must be other makes in that low single-digit range. I don't really know of any technical benefits. You mean compared to higher power D, don't you?
Old 10th April 2011, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post

I see most people buy ready built modules.
Class D can be fussy about pcb layout and decoupling.
Some people get caught out with the inductor, a simple power inductor will just get hot.

It took me a couple of revisions of pcb before I got one working despite followin the datasheet and aplication notes.

Much less hassle to just buy one.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Class-D is not yet DIY friendly because the amount of electronics knowledge involved is one order of magnitude higher than for linear amplifiers.

If discrete class-D even becomes DIY friendly, then we could say that species evolution has gone one step further
Old 11th April 2011, 12:57 AM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
So I am curious - are there technical benefits to low power if using Class D ?
one could be battery powered
41hz have a few that works with single 12V rails

question is, will the be any power in such a thing
Old 11th April 2011, 03:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wow, battery powered low power amp only a few $, now that just makes me suspicious that it won't sound good. Anybody heard one ?

I like low power because I use reasonably sensitive speakers and like to keep my hearing intact for a few more years. For my own Class A (tube) and Class AB (SS) DIY projects I've noticed a number of benefits of designing for lower power - you can more easily justify the simplicity of Class A for starters.

I'm attracted to Class D because technically I see it offering several benefits but I wonder if some of the compromises that are encountered in the design process mean that better sound quality can be achieved if lower power is accepted ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th April 2011, 06:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If power consumption is not a concern, then I think Class-A is the better option for sound quality at low power. And that's coming from a Class-D fanatic.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

so, no technical benefits to be gained with Class D if designed for low power - it's a technology without a lot of scaling challenges ?
Old 12th April 2011, 10:09 AM   #10
hoka is offline hoka  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

the very best amplifier I have is a Charlize, it's a 12 volt powered class-D amp.
at the loudest volumes it only draws about 3 amps so that makes it less then 2x18 watts.

Hide this!Advertise here!