diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   flea powered Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/186791-flea-powered-class-d.html)

Bigun 10th April 2011 08:35 PM

flea powered Class D

For reasons of my own I prefer low powered amps and have been playing with Class AB and Class A. Now I'm curious about Class D because it appears to have evolved to an advanced stage. Unfortunately it also appears very DIY unfriendly. I see most people buy ready built modules. These modules offer very large power outputs for their size. And as I started off saying, I don't need high power.

So I am curious - are there technical benefits to low power if using Class D ?

teamacc 10th April 2011 08:55 PM

You could take a look at this: 1pcs,2x3 watt class-D amp for batt powered applications | eBay
2x3w in a very small package

sofaspud 10th April 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

For reasons of my own
Loosely translates to the essence of DIY
Class D appears DIY unfriendly because it uses small form factor surface mount parts. Most people aren't equipped to deal with those builds. And I've yet to hear a DIYer brag about his homemade multilayer PCBs.
I've seen the Sure modules that are rated for 2W/channel. There must be other makes in that low single-digit range. I don't really know of any technical benefits. You mean compared to higher power D, don't you?

nigelwright7557 10th April 2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 2534077)

I see most people buy ready built modules.

Class D can be fussy about pcb layout and decoupling.
Some people get caught out with the inductor, a simple power inductor will just get hot.

It took me a couple of revisions of pcb before I got one working despite followin the datasheet and aplication notes.

Much less hassle to just buy one.

Eva 11th April 2011 01:40 AM

Class-D is not yet DIY friendly because the amount of electronics knowledge involved is one order of magnitude higher than for linear amplifiers.

If discrete class-D even becomes DIY friendly, then we could say that species evolution has gone one step further :)

tinitus 11th April 2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 2534077)
So I am curious - are there technical benefits to low power if using Class D ?

one could be battery powered ;)
41hz have a few that works with single 12V rails

question is, will the be any power in such a thing

Bigun 11th April 2011 04:11 AM

Wow, battery powered low power amp only a few $, now that just makes me suspicious that it won't sound good. Anybody heard one ?

I like low power because I use reasonably sensitive speakers and like to keep my hearing intact for a few more years. For my own Class A (tube) and Class AB (SS) DIY projects I've noticed a number of benefits of designing for lower power - you can more easily justify the simplicity of Class A for starters.

I'm attracted to Class D because technically I see it offering several benefits but I wonder if some of the compromises that are encountered in the design process mean that better sound quality can be achieved if lower power is accepted ?

theAnonymous1 11th April 2011 07:00 AM

If power consumption is not a concern, then I think Class-A is the better option for sound quality at low power. And that's coming from a Class-D fanatic.

Bigun 11th April 2011 01:56 PM

so, no technical benefits to be gained with Class D if designed for low power - it's a technology without a lot of scaling challenges ?

hoka 12th April 2011 11:09 AM

the very best amplifier I have is a Charlize, it's a 12 volt powered class-D amp.
at the loudest volumes it only draws about 3 amps so that makes it less then 2x18 watts.