Problem with fan controller Sure 2*100W TK2050 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
MrAmp is offline MrAmp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Problem with fan controller Sure 2*100W TK2050

Hi,

yersterday I received my new Tripath tk2050 Board from Sure Electronics with 2*100 Watts. After installing I began to test the Amp and I was really impressed by the great sound quality. But then I saw, that the cooling fan wasn` t working. So I had a look at the datasheet (http://www.sure-electronics.net/down..._Ver1.0_EN.pdf) and on page 11 paragraph 2.7 I found the information, that the fan is semipassive. So it should work, when the temperature of the amps increase and slow down or even stop when the temperature isn`t that high. So I made a "temperature-benchmark" turning up the volume to a high level and let the amp work for about ten minutes. But the fan was still not working, although the heatsink was quite hot (Id say about 50-60C). Im not sure if this behaviour is normal or if it causes damage to the amp, can you help me?

Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Isn`t there anyone having an idea?
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Have you contacted the manufacturer? They could tell you for certain.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

50-60 degrees celcius is not enough to activate the fan. If I recall correctly, it activates at 80 degrees celcius. You could also install a better heatsink and avoid having a fan at all.

Keep in mind that no matter what the chip itself has a built-in over temperature shut-down at 150 degrees celcius, so there's lots of head room.

Last edited by Saturnus; 2nd April 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies. Then I can be sure, that everthing`s fine and enjoy the amazing sound.

As I read in the datasheet, the heatsink is a standard chipset cooler of a motherboard, so Ill look for a better passive heatsink. A self-made cooler based on heatpipes would also be very nice.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

May youd like to see the results of my work, I made some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (100.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (89.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (103.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:34 PM   #7
teamacc is offline teamacc  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Looks like you are using 2 psus paralleled, this is not advisable, as a difference of 0.1v in voltage might create a big current leak (as the wires have little to no resistance)
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAmp View Post
May youd like to see the results of my work, I made some pics.
Hi, the case looks nice. Is the complete wood case the reason you did not take a grounded socket ? But mostly the SMPS have an earth pin. I would in anyway change to a 3 pin socket with earth.
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacc View Post
Looks like you are using 2 psus paralleled, this is not advisable, as a difference of 0.1v in voltage might create a big current leak (as the wires have little to no resistance)
I hope this is not valid for batteries ...
Good to see you here. I know you are one of the more experienced members here. Could you please give me a recommendation how to solve the missing speaker protection relay of the sure board ? Maybe a link or PM ...
Old 4th April 2011, 02:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your Feedback.

I connected the PSUs parallel, but why shouldn`t that work? Each of the PSUs has 50 Watts and the boards needs 100W (in my case a bit less, because my speakers have 8 ohms). When the powerconsumption rises over 50W one of the PSUs is at maximum load and the second PSU provides the rest of the power. Or did I get something wrong? The other way round, how schould I connect the PSUs alternatively?

The PSUs have a ground pin, but I did not use it, because I read somewhere, that grounded amplifiers (CD-players or whatever) can cause problems like acoustic feedbacks through the same ground connection and that stuff.
Also the fact, that the case is completely made off wood (except from the backpanel) makes a grounding unnecessary.

By the way Im solving the coling problem through a selfmade heatpipe construction which leads the heat from the amps through a 3mm heatpipe to a passive heatsink. But its not finished yet.

But this is my first selfmade amplifier so tell me if you have more improvement suggestions.

P.S. Heres my entire project diary with much more pictures for details: [Projekt] L.B.s neuer Nachbrenner---

Hide this!Advertise here!