Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2011, 07:49 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldriver View Post
Hi again
Now i have all the parts. unfortunately this wonderfull case i got just a few days ago i do need to drill holes. Now i have on the left and right side a very heavy ( i guess about 8cm) heatsink. My question is if it is possible to use a glue (which one?) or silicone (for higher temperatur) to put the small Hypex Modules UCD 400 on these heatsinks. What do you mean, is this a good idea or are the modules to "hot" to fix with glues?

Thanks a lot for an idea or any recommandations.
Souldriver
Don't glue the modules to a heatsink. If the heatsink is too thick for the screws supplied with the modules, get longer screws or use small bolts and drill out the mounting hole threads so the bolt will fit. Use a silicon thermal paste between the heatsink and module.

While these modules DO need to be heatsinked, they don't need very big ones, and an aluminum case is usually sufficient by itself, a heatsink is even better if it's sized right.

Retraction: I have noticed after some time now that there is indeed a surge when the SMPS I am using are powered up, it just took some time to notice. A soft start circuit for use in applications where voltage dips can't be tolerated would probably be a good idea.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot for answering

what do you mean? Is it not possible to only use a kind of silicon (-glue). i read somewhere that this could be a possibility to fix the modules because silicon can go till 300 celsius. i know that the hypexmodules do not need a large heatsink, but it is more a question of how to fix than how get the best results in cooling.
does silicon work (without bolts and screws). Or binding posts could be a possibility too, isnt it?

Thanks for giving me your advises.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thanks a lot for answering

what do you mean? Is it not possible to only use a kind of silicon (-glue). i read somewhere that this could be a possibility to fix the modules because silicon can go till 300 celsius. i know that the hypexmodules do not need a large heatsink, but it is more a question of how to fix than how get the best results in cooling.
does silicon work (without bolts and screws). Or binding posts could be a possibility too, isnt it?

Thanks for giving me your advises.
Any kind of glue I would think would be unreliable in the long term. As far as thermal conductivity I have no idea what's available and how well it works. If the layer used is extremely thin it would probably work until it fell off. Just my 2 cents.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Glue is not a good idea. It must be screwed on for a really tight thermal contact with the heatsink or case. An alternative would be to somehow clamp it down with enough pressure, the way you mount the cooler on the CPU-chip in the PC. Also use a thin layer of arctic silver or similar thermal paste for good contact.
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:08 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot guys
i will try to screw the modules. i need to drill a few other holes but i guess it will be ok like that.

again thanks. i will post some pictures when it will be finished
Old 6th May 2011, 05:44 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default The project is finished...almost :-(

Now, everything is complete and my first amp project should be finished...should. There is no sound at all..

So, the powerconnection works but there is no sound even no noise. i guess that the ucd's do not work
1. The power/electric should work because the smps make little "clic" when i put it on.
2. The push button is allways lighning when i switch the power on but nothing happens when i push it...(do i have it connected right?)
3. The little Molex ground cable is connected to second black wire (ground) on the Smps

Does anyone have idea why it does not work? I put some pictures just below. If somebody could check the connections this would be very fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.JPG (468.8 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0142.JPG (465.7 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.JPG (394.8 KB, 678 views)
Old 6th May 2011, 05:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

some other pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0138.JPG (380.7 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.JPG (439.1 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.JPG (419.8 KB, 230 views)
Old 6th May 2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

We just discussed the required thermal contact for the small blue T-heatsinks, but I see none. Could it be that you already killed the UcD-modules?
Old 6th May 2011, 09:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi Javin
Thanks a lot for answering. Yes there is definitely a tight termal contact. The UCD's are screwed with the case. The only thing what i had to do is to use a kind of alluminium template but they are screwed very tight with the case. Is there a possibilty to find out if the ucd's are killed (hopefully not!!!) I really take care about them!
Did you had a look for the connections? Is everything ok?
Thanks again Javin!
Old 7th May 2011, 02:21 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Javin
Thanks a lot for answering. Yes there is definitely a tight termal contact. The UCD's are screwed with the case. The only thing what i had to do is to use a kind of alluminium template but they are screwed very tight with the case. Is there a possibilty to find out if the ucd's are killed (hopefully not!!!) I really take care about them!
Did you had a look for the connections? Is everything ok?
Thanks again Javin!
Hold on a minute. I see the modules screwed to the case, but I do not see the blue aluminum heat sink block in contact with anything. It looks to me like you have no heat sink at all. The face of the blue aluminum block on the module needs to be flat against the metal case. Just screwing the boards to the case will not work. It does nothing for heat dissipation.

The modules have thermal protection so you probably didn't ruin them. Make certain that the control wire is grounded and check the power supply voltages at the module terminals to make sure the power is there. Static electricity will easily damage the modules, but failing to provide a heat sink and powering them up should not hurt them. They may simply be too hot and shut down. Try letting the amp cool off completely, then apply an input source and then apply power with the amp on. It should run at least a short time before shutting down. If that doesn't work something else is wrong too.

Hide this!Advertise here!