Boombox no.2! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i built my first boombox last summer and a little 4" baby this winter, but feeling like i want to start building the real thing, to get the maximum power being as small as possible without costing a fortune :)

My first boombox was very good, but very hard to carry because it was almost as a box.
This time, im thinking of having a longer one and maybe add a strap to carry it on your shoulder or something.

This is what i've planned:

Amplifier
An AMP9, i've never built an amp on my own before, wanted to try and found this being a easy and cheap sollution. Can someone post an guide or something how to solder everything?

And some help how to connect an AUX-cable to it (3.5mm)

Speakers
I've been looking alot for some small, good speakers today and found these very low-priced 4x6" and 6,5" speakers from PYLE
The only thing i am worried about is the db/w on them, theres no specs on it about that :(
I care a little about if the sound quality is good to and if they really have 90 and 100w RMS.

If you guys know some other cheap speakers between 5,25" and 6,5" that are cheap to ship to sweden, i would be very happy :)

I will start running this boombox with my 12v 7,2Ah battery, but will change to a better one later on, im not sure how much money i want to spend on a battery yet...

Here's an example on how i COULD make it, won't build it until i've heard some critics about what i should change and so on...
Everything has real dimensions exept for the 4x6 speakers that became some 6,5" speakers, but whatever :p
The dimension of the box is 520x200x160mm
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thinking of making it just a little slimmer than 160mm, like 140 or something.

Am almost sure of making the 2nd verision, would be really cool with the window.
Anyone know how to make one? if possible?

And btw, the red label speakers have 89db/w, not great bu ok.
Just wondering if they have good sound quality now :)

And someone please reply, getting boring :p

Cool - How about some stickers from your favorite bands with clear finish over it? Im sure you will get some suggestions about the electronics also., Have you seen the thread called the "boominator" "the ultimate BOOM box" or something like that on this forum. The guy really did it up nice.
Later

Yea, everywhere you're looking on the forum, theres a link to that thread :p
Was looking on a swedish forum for other boombox projects and found two threads to just that one here on diyaudio lol
It's a perfect box :p

That idea got me just about 2 hours ago! :p
I'm listening to lots of different bands, but i was thinking of adding a Deadmau5 logo on it like this one and paint it green

I hope i will get some suggestions for the speakers and some help with the AMP9.
I'm not sure how to solder everything, if its hard or just takes lots of time.
Need someone to tell me how it was so i can decide :p

Last edited:
This is the result of what im going to build.

I have bought some GAS 6924 speakers for 20€!!
Just as good as my 6936 i bought for 60€
They're almost the same as the GAS 6936 speakers that i already got but older and one more tweeter and not as good quality on its bass as the 6936, but still very good.
I was thinking about replacing my 6936 speakers i already got in my other boombox with these 6924 speakers and buy 2 more 6936 speakers and use them all on my new one, but realised when i had bought the 6924's that the others didn't get off my boombox.

But they are almost the same and got the same size of their magnet, so they'll work just as good.

Im going to try to use the magnet-magnet construction on them.
All of my 4 speakers are 10cm in depth and made the boombox 20cm total.
And i've seen on another forum when they made this, they used something called "plastic padding".
Is this necessary, what does it do, where do i get it?

If someone wants to see the thread, its here
Its a copy of saturnus boominator

Front

Back

The dimensions are:
700x220x180mm

And i will need these parts
1piece 700x220 (front speakers)
2pieces 270x220 (rear speakers)
1piece 700x200 (bottom)
2pieces 270x180 (top)
1piece 160x180 (over the batteries where the amp will be)
4pieces 210x180 (at the sides and the sides of the batteries)

So, what do you guys think?
Need some more comments!!!

Last edited:
First rule of a good boombox build. Don't ever use anything that is meant for car audio. Ever. :D

Oh, and since you're nearing the Boominator dimensions anyways, why not just build that?

Because i already got 4 6x9 speakers i want to use.
I would rather build the boominator but it'll cost 70€ more.
And i know, it feels silly to choose the amp9 instead of the amp6, but heres why:
I'm mainly planning on using it just some hours at night, not using it as a festival stereo.
Also why i choose to have 2x 12v 18Ah batteries

And saturnus, how does the magnet-magnet construction work?
How did you put together the magnets?
I really dont have a clue how you did that :p

Please someone reply how the magnet-magnet construction works, need an awnser within 2 days.
Im going to start building the box on wednesday.

And i was thinking of a tone control :p
I can buy this for 10€, what du u guys think?
http://www.electrokit.se/download/k155.pdf

Btw, i plug it in between the amp and my smartphone and not between the amp and the speakers right?

Last edited:
there are many magnet-magnet configurations , in which speakers can be wired in phase or out of phase . I prefer the push-pull configuration ,because
the size of the box remains the same as a single woofer . They can be mounted nose to nail , or back to back . Since yours is a very large box , I suggest to try the design I posted : the back of the woofers share the same chamber ,they are wired out of phase , and the other chamber is vented (hole
or duct ) .
:)

Forgot the attachment !!

Attachments

• iso1.jpg
    iso1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 128
there are many magnet-magnet configurations , in which speakers can be wired in phase or out of phase . I prefer the push-pull configuration ,because
the size of the box remains the same as a single woofer . They can be mounted nose to nail , or back to back . Since yours is a very large box , I suggest to try the design I posted : the back of the woofers share the same chamber ,they are wired out of phase , and the other chamber is vented (hole
or duct ) .
:)

Oh, that changes everything :S
Right now i have made everything so the magnets meet each other inside the box (like the boominator),
if i will do this type i will have to make the boombox thinner but longer, about 1m long.
And if its thinner, the batteries wont fit as planned.
Is it possible to do it like the boominator thingy?

And it's not really a woofer, it's a coaxial speaker, so wouldn't the tweeter and the mid sound get reduced when using the vent idea? or am i wrong?

No ,you 're right , as I didn't mention that you should extirpate :eek: those protruding things out of the cone .

Waaaaiiiitttt, so you mean i can just pull out the mid and the tweeter from the coaxial? XD

Wiring the speakers out of phase will also mean that there would be next to no bass at all. Probably not a good thing.

You also get none of the benefits of mount the magnets against eachother.

So the magnet-magnet thing is just a waste of time, you just meant i should have the same woofer in the same room to get extra dB?

Now i am reaaaalllly confused >.<

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.