Boombox no.2! :D - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2011, 10:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
First rule of a good boombox build. Don't ever use anything that is meant for car audio. Ever.

Oh, and since you're nearing the Boominator dimensions anyways, why not just build that?

Last edited by Saturnus; 20th March 2011 at 10:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 11:57 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
First rule of a good boombox build. Don't ever use anything that is meant for car audio. Ever.

Oh, and since you're nearing the Boominator dimensions anyways, why not just build that?
Because i already got 4 6x9 speakers i want to use.
I would rather build the boominator but it'll cost 70 more.
And i know, it feels silly to choose the amp9 instead of the amp6, but heres why:
I'm mainly planning on using it just some hours at night, not using it as a festival stereo.
Also why i choose to have 2x 12v 18Ah batteries

And saturnus, how does the magnet-magnet construction work?
How did you put together the magnets?
I really dont have a clue how you did that
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 05:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Please someone reply how the magnet-magnet construction works, need an awnser within 2 days.
Im going to start building the box on wednesday.


And i was thinking of a tone control :P
I can buy this for 10€, what du u guys think?
http://www.electrokit.se/download/k155.pdf

Btw, i plug it in between the amp and my smartphone and not between the amp and the speakers right?

Last edited by Zenolijo; 21st March 2011 at 05:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 05:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
picowallspeaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
there are many magnet-magnet configurations , in which speakers can be wired in phase or out of phase . I prefer the push-pull configuration ,because
the size of the box remains the same as a single woofer . They can be mounted nose to nail , or back to back . Since yours is a very large box , I suggest to try the design I posted : the back of the woofers share the same chamber ,they are wired out of phase , and the other chamber is vented (hole
or duct ) .
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
picowallspeaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Forgot the attachment !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iso1.jpg (24.5 KB, 104 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 06:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
there are many magnet-magnet configurations , in which speakers can be wired in phase or out of phase . I prefer the push-pull configuration ,because
the size of the box remains the same as a single woofer . They can be mounted nose to nail , or back to back . Since yours is a very large box , I suggest to try the design I posted : the back of the woofers share the same chamber ,they are wired out of phase , and the other chamber is vented (hole
or duct ) .
Oh, that changes everything :S
Right now i have made everything so the magnets meet each other inside the box (like the boominator),
if i will do this type i will have to make the boombox thinner but longer, about 1m long.
And if its thinner, the batteries wont fit as planned.
Is it possible to do it like the boominator thingy?

And it's not really a woofer, it's a coaxial speaker, so wouldn't the tweeter and the mid sound get reduced when using the vent idea? or am i wrong?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 06:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Wiring the speakers out of phase will also mean that there would be next to no bass at all. Probably not a good thing.

You also get none of the benefits of mount the magnets against eachother.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
picowallspeaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
And it's not really a woofer, it's a coaxial speaker, so wouldn't the tweeter and the mid sound get reduced when using the vent idea? or am i wrong?
No ,you 're right , as I didn't mention that you should extirpate those protruding things out of the cone .
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 07:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
No ,you 're right , as I didn't mention that you should extirpate those protruding things out of the cone .
Waaaaiiiitttt, so you mean i can just pull out the mid and the tweeter from the coaxial? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Wiring the speakers out of phase will also mean that there would be next to no bass at all. Probably not a good thing.

You also get none of the benefits of mount the magnets against eachother.
So the magnet-magnet thing is just a waste of time, you just meant i should have the same woofer in the same room to get extra dB?


Now i am reaaaalllly confused >.<
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 07:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
No one said life was supposed to be easy
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cal's little boombox Cal Weldon Multi-Way 33 3rd December 2010 07:36 PM
Boombox in a car ashhegde Car Audio 2 11th June 2010 03:38 AM
DIY Boombox happyb Multi-Way 4 27th March 2008 08:30 AM
The boombox project A3rd.Zero Everything Else 13 12th May 2004 08:15 PM
My boombox on.. tubes. :) igormak Tubes / Valves 4 11th November 2003 10:52 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2