Does anyone have experience with this part -Texas Instruments TPA3106D1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Wondering is any of you have had personal experience with this part from Texas Instruments.

I have heard some comments that are positive in nature, but I believe many of you have had great practical experience with parts like this one - and I'd love to hear from you.

I'm in need of 25 "good watts" for a project I'm working on.

Many thanks,

Mark

Thanks all...

The issues were for me these...

Do they make at least 20 good clean watts (under .1%) with the requested power supply. My guess is they did - but really no where near 40 watts.

How do they perform re. noise.

Do you find them susceptible to placement. Did you try a primary and secondary placement.

Yep - I know they would not make Diana sound live in my room... but what kinds of loads and speakers did you try with these...

Those are my general questions...

Many thanks,

Mark

Do they make at least 20 good clean watts (under .1%) with the requested power supply.

THD+N @ 10kHz is above 0.1% even at 1W. This IC has a funky THD graph (see attached pic).

Using the lowest gain setting (20dB), noise is almost indistinguishable on my system. The next step up to 26dB is much more audible.

Do you find them susceptible to placement. Did you try a primary and secondary placement.

Not sure what you mean; amp placement or speaker placement?

...what kinds of loads and speakers did you try with these...

My mains - PhaseTechnology PC80's (6Ω) and my 4Ω car door speakers. Plenty of power and clean sound, but I'm not a critical listener.

Attachments

• 3106D1_THD.JPG
    3106D1_THD.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 106
Do they make at least 20 good clean watts (under .1%) with the requested power supply.
Yes.
As stated above, at 20dB gain into 90dB SPL speakers, the noise is inaudible from 1M away.
Do you find them susceptible to placement.
Power traces should be as wide as possible and power supply decoupling caps and output filters as close to the chip as possible. Other than that, PCB placement doesn't affect performance much.
but what kinds of loads and speakers did you try with these
Using the 20dB gain setting on the chip makes the output pretty much impervious to load variances. Just make sure your output filter matches your speaker impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.