Hypex ucd 400hg vs 400hg hxr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi mats
a few days ago i was asking me the same question. last friday i ordered 2 400 modules with the hxr modules. finally i wanted to have the best possible quality. they are expensive but i guess they are worth every cent. next week i will get the case an the modules....

I have upgraded my UCD400 from HG to HXR, and would say yes!, HXR is worth it.

HG sounds very good by themselves, and I found it hard to believe HXR could do much good.

But the difference is quite clear. The high frequency is more clear and detailed, but the biggest difference is in microdynamics, and perspective.

On my system it made an amazing difference to the perspective, suddenly I could "look" into the music, and place musicians much more precisely than before. And small details of every instrument stand more clear.

So I would say, go for HXR.

This regulators supply the input operational amplifier and the gate driver? If the operational amplifier has NFB , the gate driver supply don't go too low and everything is decent decoupled with the cheaper regulator , then why is a difference in sound?Can this be explained technically?

sorry, nfb is negative feedback (i often see this abbreviation in this forum)

I see that the opamp is lm4562 which is very good .This opamp works with a power supply from +-2,5v to 17v and has a psrr of 120db. How can a better regulator make such difference in sound like some people wrote upper?

PSRR in op-amps real life is not so straightforward as bare numbers would suggest. More important for op-amp performance is output impendance of voltage regulator which should be low and flat throughout the audible range.

Fancy, low-ESR capacitors impendance ringing or vreg's output impedance variations in higher frequencies of audio band immediately manifest themselves as sound colorations which are related to bad rep of "op-amp sound". HxR is worth upgrading, my buffers with OPA1612 are powered with HxR.

I have the UcD 400 and I bought the HXR regulators. Seems that all I have to do is mount those and remove the R85 and R86 jumpers... just below the regulators. Is that right? Thanks.

I'll answer my one question... received reply from Hypex. To upgrade the modules all you need is:

UCD180HG V2 Remove R68 & R69
UCD400HG Remove R85 & R86
UCD700HG Remove R111 & R112

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.