digital amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Can anyone advise on a good digital amp. I searched google for " digital amplifier versus analogue amplifier " to gain a good knowledge of the subject, I like the idea of being able to insert a digital signal and have it amplified without the need for digital to analogue conversion, essentially keeping it within the digital domain but cannot really find any specific lists of who the best manufacturers are or any model numbers.

I saw the name Tripath on this site and also a few Tripath items on ebay, how do they rank.

Finally I purchased a digital amp out of curiosity (for the car) it did sound different but not particularly better when compared with my Audison lrx 4.300 which is analogue.

For home use i have a analogue quad 405-3, what kind of digital amp should i be looking at as a replacement for this.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

In answer to the question: A digital amp amplifies digital audio signals as opposed to an analogue amp which uses dac's to convert the incoming digital signals to analogue before amplification.
There is an improvement in performance to be gained by this procedure. The best kind of dac is no dac at all.

Many thanks.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Oh hell, I'll step in...

The only digital amp I ever had was the Panasonic XR series receivers (XR-45 and XR-50, etc). These indeed were digital amps - that is a digital signal from coax or toslink that is amplified, the converted to analog out to the speakers. The "engine" of this amp was an Equibit chipset which is now part of Texas Instruments.

The Tripath is NOT a digital amp. ICEPower and Hypex are also NOT digital amps. These are Class D amps, not digital amplifiers.

EDIT - Toccata Equibit now has its own Facebook page!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equibit/138536309509581

Last edited:
Any audio amp with digital ins needs to have a digital to analogue converter before the power amp. People mistakingly call class D amps digital amps. I guess strictly speaking there are no such thing as pure digital audio power amps because the speakers need an analogue voltage. Its like trying to make a pure digital preamp.

because the speakers need an analogue voltage

Actually not. A quantized signal is digital signal, but if the quantums are small enough then it is heard to be analog.

If you connect MSB (most significant bit) to a speaker, the sound will be very distorted, but amasingly the song is recognisable in many cases. If you add one more bit, with 1/2 weight, the sound will be somewhat clearer, but still digital. Where is the limit?

The difference between analog and digital signal is sometimes the question of viewpoint. A digital circuit can be fed by analog signal and vica verse. And an originally digital circuit can be used to amplify analog signal in some cases (CD4069, 74HCU04).

Digital ClassD amplifier: the FETs can switch only at clock pulses (quantised pulse width).

Class d converts analogue to digital the back to analogue.

Not neccessarily. Most of the ClassD amps are fully analog. A basic PW modulator is analog, the information presented by voltage is converted to pulse width, but it is still analog, since it can represent infinite different value!

Only an insignificant fraction of the ClassD amps works the way you told.

Any audio amp with digital ins needs to have a digital to analogue converter before the power amp. People mistakingly call class D amps digital amps. I guess strictly speaking there are no such thing as pure digital audio power amps because the speakers need an analogue voltage. Its like trying to make a pure digital preamp.

Strictly speaking speakers don't care if the signal is an analogue or digital voltage. It is indeed possible to make a pure digital amp that never converts the signal into an analogue signal at any stage.

I do not understand this discusion about this subject if you search the forum you will find that it is actualy possible to eliminate the need of any ADC or DAC.
This technologie is also known under the name pure path and ddx.
These amplifiers work like class-d amps, but the pwm duty cycle is calculated(digital domain) by a DSP instead of a opamp.
Apogee and st microelectronics makes these DSP's.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.