Will this amplifier work for my I-pod dock project in school?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, Im in my first year of sixth form (college) and for one of my A levels, I'm doing product design, I have chosen to make an I-pod dock, I have all the designs for it drawn up and everything and I have got all the speakers I need (they are all the same impedance) the only thing I have left to do now, is find an amplifier and make the product. However, been as I am new to the whole amplifier thing, I'm having some real trouble finding an amplifier, on another forum, I got recommended to try an amp board, so I was wondering if this specific amp board would work? 2*100w TK2050 TP2050 Tripath Class-T AMP Board Upgraded on eBay (end time 23-Feb-11 08:24:58 GMT)

It would be great if you could let me know if it includes a few things..
-I need to be able to obviously plug my I-pod in.. so I will need some kind of input, im pretty sure it comes with a 3.5 jack to 2 x RCA inputs, but im not sure, also, how many channels does this amplifier have? as I am having six speakers in my Ipod dock (the docking station is very large, nearly a meter high, so size shouldn't be a problem:D).

-If I have a power source for the amplifier, and wire the speakers up, is this all I will need to make it work? I'm really not sure if there are other things Im going to need, someone mentioned to me 'crossovers' which I believe are to sort the frequencies to the right speakers? so is this amp going to have a cross over built in? anyway, if there are any other things you think I should take note of, please let me know, I really need to get on making this thing now so I need to buy an amplifier as soon as possible, heres an image of a cardboard model I made just so I could get an idea of the scale of the product (the speakers in it are the ones I'm going to be using.. so I need a 6 channel amp right?) anyway, if you know of an amp I could use PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me, I'm sorry if some of the stuff i've said sounds stupid to you guys because I'm new to the whole amplifier thing, but you gotta start somewhere right?

anyway, here is an image of the I-pod dock so you can get an idea of scale: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Looks like you have six different speakers there. Or four and a pair. It's normal to have three pairs, or two pairs or even one pair, so you can split them up equally, left and right.

The amp doesn't have crossovers built in, crossovers are tailored to the speakers, normally you would have 2 identical ones, one each for left and right, feeding identical sets of speakers. This would require a two-channel amp feeding the crossovers, feeding the speakers. Symmetrical.

You'll probably need a volume control (knob, dual-gang potentiometer, say 10k) as using the iPod volume control will not be convenient (leave it turned up full).

The amp is too big, it will easy blow up speakers. You'd be better with this TA2024 with 15W per channel:-2*15 watt @ 4ohm, TA2024 D-class Audio Amplifier Board on eBay (end time 14-Mar-11 06:39:05 GMT)

If you've got 2 identical speakers (drivers), just use them, one per side, it'll keep things simple.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.