SMPS 3000 with a UCD2k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My brother Jim has been assembling quite a few Hypex based amplifiers for systems our small company sells and installs. Been really successful! We had been waiting for the new SMPS 3000 for almost a year. It seemed to make sense combined with a UCD2k in a monoblock configuration. Unfortunately the cable normally supplied with SMPS power supplies from Hypex is not included as yet.It seems since this is the first batch of 3000s the cables were not ready. They did send the connectors to make our own with however.The problem is trying to make sure the connections are proper? They do have published data on the website which gives some explanation,but this is Jim's question.

"The paragraph below is mysteriously missing from their published data.
I guess it seems pretty clear that the terminal in the supply designated vdr- should be jumpered to the amp neg supply rail?"

Driver Voltage Output Characteristics
The SMPS3k provides a regulated +15V supply voltage which is used to power the driver circuit of a
UcD700 or UcD2k series amplifier. These amplifiers need the 15V supply voltage referred to its
negative supply rail (Vee). In order to achieve this, the “Negative Bootstrap Driver Voltage” (VdrN)
must be connected to its negative supply rail (Vee) at the amplifier side. The “Positive Bootstrap
Driver Voltage” (VdrP) then must be connected to the UcD700/UcD2k series Vdr supply input.

Anybody with any input on this? Trying not to start a fire!
Thanks
Dallas

Nick found a picture of the 2k Hypex amp as discussed. More or less 2 monoblocks in one chassis.
Combined with the 21" subwoofers it produced one of the rare occurrences where my hair moved during a DEEP bass passage. Fun!

Attachments

• Hypex amp.jpg
    Hypex amp.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 966
That's great you managed to find a picture! Very clean work. Except for the ground connection at the top but, i'm guessing that was temporary :) I love the use of the heatsink, great fit and positioning.

This looks like a rack mounted chassis, is the amplifier used for PA purposes?

Nick was in the final stages of testing when this picture was taken. He cleaned up the ground etc. for the delivered product. It is installed in a high end home theater in Florida. Each 2k module is driving two 21"(533mm) subwoofers. Not super heavy duty use, so we did not use a fan. Very deep well controlled bass is the result! The theater also has 7 custom Line array speakers as well. Each speaker is driven(bi-amplified) by a custom built amp with two Hypex UCD400HGs and a Marchand electronic crossover built in. There are 16 Hypex modules in this theater!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.