New Puter speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
White American oak. Same vol as the original IBM Aptiva speakers that came with our very first puter in 1997. The amp was nice. Based on a Philips chip it sounded real good in combination with these drivers. One is 4" the other 1". Big magnets, sheilded and matched well to the task.
The little amp finally gave up and I couldnt be bothered trying to fix it. So away with the plastic enclosures and in with the new. An Arjen 15w/channel amp and real wood.
Good mid and high range but no bass to speak of. I connected the amp to my floorstanders and they didnt sound much better so I connected the speakers to my LM3886 amp and sweet sounds emanated. I havnt got the room inside the enclosures for an LM amp nor the inclination to build another so I will either put up with the lack of bass (They are workplace speakers after all) or modify the amp. Bigger caps maybe?
Anyway they sound better than the internal speaker of the hp computer and cost next to nothing. $14 all up. :)

Attachments

• Computer speakers.jpg
    Computer speakers.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I'm just guessing but based on the photo, I'd say you need BSC at between 1-2kHz. Set your EQ flat to zero until about 1000 Hz, then -3dB at 1500 Hz, then -6dB for all bands from 2kHz and up. Notice it's all cut, no boost. Avoiding boost is the quickest way to avoid distortion on any system you aren't sure of and especially with on-board PC audio.

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.