New Puter speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 02:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Puter speakers

White American oak. Same vol as the original IBM Aptiva speakers that came with our very first puter in 1997. The amp was nice. Based on a Philips chip it sounded real good in combination with these drivers. One is 4" the other 1". Big magnets, sheilded and matched well to the task.
The little amp finally gave up and I couldnt be bothered trying to fix it. So away with the plastic enclosures and in with the new. An Arjen 15w/channel amp and real wood.
Good mid and high range but no bass to speak of. I connected the amp to my floorstanders and they didnt sound much better so I connected the speakers to my LM3886 amp and sweet sounds emanated. I havnt got the room inside the enclosures for an LM amp nor the inclination to build another so I will either put up with the lack of bass (They are workplace speakers after all) or modify the amp. Bigger caps maybe?
Anyway they sound better than the internal speaker of the hp computer and cost next to nothing. $14 all up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Computer speakers.jpg (281.8 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by hybridfiat; 19th February 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Baffle step compensation? If not in circuit, can be approximated with the PC graphic equalizer.

:)ensen.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeh, you are right. Ive played with the EQ and got a better sound.
Im getting a bit of distortion on some tracks and Im not sure if it is my speakers, the EQ changes or the amp. I think the EQ at this point.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm just guessing but based on the photo, I'd say you need BSC at between 1-2kHz. Set your EQ flat to zero until about 1000 Hz, then -3dB at 1500 Hz, then -6dB for all bands from 2kHz and up. Notice it's all cut, no boost. Avoiding boost is the quickest way to avoid distortion on any system you aren't sure of and especially with on-board PC audio.

:)ensen.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That sounds better Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!