Topping TP-20 Mk2 or SMSL SA-S1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Advice on T-Amp

I own a Topping and I am satisfied with it. However, note the fine print. The topping does not include the power supply(PS). Therefore, you will have to either supply your own PS or purchase one.

The features on the SA-S1 read superlative to me. I would go for the SA-S1 just because of the modest upgrades and the inclusion of the PS. The SA-S1 just looks like more value for your money.

The TP20 mk2 is about $70 shipped with adapter. The SMSL is about $65. Price isn't an issue. Looking at the PCB, the SMSL already came with the elna pioneer reservoir cap. It doesn't look like topping has it. Though, the TP21 has similar reservoir as the SMSL SA-S1/SA-S3. However, the topping seems to have more coupling caps or whatever the caps around the inductors are. I can't decide which to go for, I have a ton of caps at home that I can add to the amp with little issue should I go with the TP20.

If you look closely you can see that the pictures in that SA-S1 has a slight problem. The first picture has different component amounts than the ones later on.
I think the first picture is actually SA-S3:
Find SMSL Hi-quality SA-S3 TA2021B HIFI Digital Amplifier S on eBay International Market, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories

If I understood more about amps and electronics I could say something more constructive :D. Atleast the S1 and S3 use different tripath chips.

Also I have topping tp-20 mark 2 and I am quite happy with it. Not the best one to judge as I it is the only tripath amp I've heard. But those SMSL S1 and S3 amps look improved from the times I bought my topping. And that is not too long ago. I think I could found only SMSL SA-36 or something which didn't look as good back then. And if aesthetics matter then you should notice that S1 is very short which atleast looks better to me than the few centimeters taller tp-20

Last edited:
Topping TP20 MK2

I did a lot of research regarding T-amps and ended up choosing Topping over the others. Topping makes some nice gear. I have owned the Topping TP21 and Topping D2 DAC; the quality was wonderful and the units never had a problem. I just purchased the Topping TP20 MK2 because my research shows the TA2020 chip as having better reviews on dynamic sound quality. With the TP20 MK2 version, Topping upgraded the resistors and caps along with silver wire and speaker protection circuit over their earlier version. The sound is amazing; my TP20 MK2 is connected to a pair of Merrill full range drivers in custom built bass reflex cabinets and anyone who listens to them it thinks I have a sub woofer connected. I don't have a demo video of my Topping TP20 MK2 ready yet, but I still have a video on youtube of my Topping TP21 running a pair of custom 2-way speakers built by Fritz Heiler: Topping TP21 T-Amp Stereo System - YouTube

I am powering the Topping TP20 MK2 with a 12V SLA battery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.