hifonics brutus BXI1500D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so i have a bxi1500d amp and it was sorta working it was quiet and lacking punch but it worked no problem... Well someone i knew got ahold of it and tried to fix it and ROYALLY screwed it up .... He claimed that 2 of my transistors had a detached middle leg so he soldered em down which then proceeded to smoke the amp... His excuse was that it had been broken so long that it couldnt handle being fixed.... Uh huh..... but everything looks fine minus the main transistors are kinda messed up and some are cracked.... So is the amp a coffee table story piece or is it worth fixing.... He claimed he can fix it with 25 bux worth of transistors but im not letting him touch ANY of my good electronics anymore plz help

I have never heard of the centre legs of a transistor coming detached. It's possible that it was sent to outer space, and that caused that problem. Cracked transistors are certainly cooked. If he buggered the soldering job, the power supply is also probably done.
The transistors are the main power consuming components. When they die, they frequently take the power supply with them. If he buggered the soldering job, you almost certainly killed the power supply. I would file it under the "lessons learned" category.
Its also possible that your friends "centre leg" has become detached. Maybe you should go ahead and solder it back on for him.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.