Best buy class-D amp for 130$ (without case) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2011, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best buy class-D amp for 130$ (without case)

Hi everyone!This is my firts post in this forum!
Let me explain my situation (I hope I'll be short!): now I'm listening to music through an emergency sytem made by a pair of coaxial 4" car speakers in closed box and Yamaha NS-W1 Sub, all powered by a Creative HT sys amp (it's a class A/B chip amp).
It's not a pc-speaker quality sys but it is not Hi-Fi! So I decided about 6 months ago to switch to a new system.
The new system will be composed by: PC as source, xyzamplifier and a pair of speakers designed and calculated by myself (note that I've projected the speaks because there is nothing I like at about 470$ (350) if so tell me!They are closed box with f3 at 52Hz, Qtc 0,707; I use Dayton DA175-8 and Vifa-Scanspeak-Thympany DX25TG09-04).
I'm looking for a neutral sounding system so I choosed class-d amp and PC as source(I mean no tube amp or other euphonic devices). Now: which is the best amplifier in this price range(max130$ without case, so including psu) capable of controlling 83dB/W speakers???
I was already oriented on the Hifimediy T1...but I'm not sure at all of my choice and I'm sick and tired of looking up for an answer, reading the whole web!
So .... HELP MEEEE!!!
Old 31st January 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What about 41Hz amps?
Old 31st January 2011, 07:41 PM   #3
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at Audiosector or Chipamp.com? You'd need to get a transformer and connectors, but you should still be able to stay within budget.
Mike
Old 31st January 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes I do, but after reading a lot of forums and reviews I concluded that it's not the kind of sound I want...and I prefer a pre-assembled board, because I've no time and/or enough skill to make a proper made work.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

....and thank you mikje for the interesting!
Old 1st February 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
zog666 is offline zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centvrion View Post
Yes I do, but after reading a lot of forums and reviews I concluded that it's not the kind of sound I want...and I prefer a pre-assembled board, because I've no time and/or enough skill to make a proper made work.
Hifimediy would definitely meet your requirements and budget, if you think 50W will drive your 83 dB efficient speakers well in your room.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Centvrion, please have look at Hifimediy amplifiers T1 and T 2 at Hifimediy|Tripath amps
they have also SMPS power suplies, in my opinion there is nothing better given the price. The TK 2050 is famous
Old 1st February 2011, 08:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog666 View Post
Hifimediy would definitely meet your requirements and budget, if you think 50W will drive your 83 dB efficient speakers well in your room.
I think and hope it will be enough! My room it's about 5x4 meters, but I don't listen at high volume, even if sometimes I like to turn up the knob ... Does anyone have experienced the couple "Hifimediy T1" - "Dayton DA175-8" ? How does it sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog666 View Post
I begin to be convinced that T1 with Alps pot it's the right choice...Thank you zog666.
I'll wait for some other opinion and then (at the and of the month because now I've exams at university !!!) I'll begin the work!
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure Electronics has their 4x100W TK2050 Tripath Class T (proprietary Class D) amp board, the one with the big heatsink and not the dual with the fan , plus their 27V 13A "Meanwell" (switching) power supply, plus free shipping all for $90 :

4*100w TK2050 Tripath Audio Amplifier + 27V 13A 351W MW Power Supply FREE SHIPPING(AA-AB33182 + PT-IP012)_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

I just ordered a small class T amp from them to play around with. I don't have any experience with their stuff (yet), but the dozens and dozens of pages of forum posts here on the amps seem to generally be in the positive feedback direction.

-agdr
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
Sure Electronics has their 4x100W TK2050 Tripath Class T (proprietary Class D) amp board, the one with the big heatsink and not the dual with the fan , plus their 27V 13A "Meanwell" (switching) power supply, plus free shipping all for $90 :

4*100w TK2050 Tripath Audio Amplifier + 27V 13A 351W MW Power Supply FREE SHIPPING(AA-AB33182 + PT-IP012)_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

I just ordered a small class T amp from them to play around with. I don't have any experience with their stuff (yet), but the dozens and dozens of pages of forum posts here on the amps seem to generally be in the positive feedback direction.

-agdr
What's up with the specs on this board? How can it be both 40 watts into 8 ohms at <3% THD+N and 30 watts into 8 ohms at 0.007% THD?

The 0.007% at 30 watts is obviously wrong. This amp seems to have a lot of distortion. Who rates the power of an amplifier at 10% THD+N? I'll bet that sounds really good. This is not a 100 watt amp, it's closer to 30 watts for hi-fi. Probably still a good deal, just don't expect 100 watts of clean power.

High Output Power
30W @ 6Ω, < 1% THD+N
40W @ 8Ω, < 3% THD+N
100W @ 4Ω, < 10.0% THD+N
High Efficiency
86% @ 60W 8Ω
82% @ 46W 6Ω
90% @ 100W 4Ω
Audiophile Quality Sound
0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8Ω
0.005% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω

Hide this!Advertise here!