Need a cheap amp, and my brains about to explode, help! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2011, 10:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantjoebot View Post
Okay, I'll shop around on ebay, and get a TA2020, and might try a TK2050 in the future just for fun.

Just for curiosity sake, and possible future reference. running the Sure 4x100W TK2050 off a computer PSU? I got a couple dell power supplies 250w i think the 12v rail is 16a, would I need to use both PSU's or would one do it? I know that it can run at 12v, but it seems like 24v is preferred.

I had the box designed in my head already. wooden box with 2 yateloon 80mm on both sides, 4 total running on 5 volt. No sides just 80mm fans, that way I don't have to cut holes. The air would enter the left side and exit the right. Take the PSU's out of their cases, mount the sure board on the left and the PSU(s) on the right. I wonder if the PSU would create electromagnetic interference with the sure board, probably have to put some wire mesh between the 2, and line the wood box with aluminum foil
TK 2050 is indeed better and much more powerfull. I would recommend the hifimediy passive cooled version which is in my opinion much better constrcuction. Hifimediy|Hifimediy T2 2*100W@4ohm amplifier
Old 27th January 2011, 12:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I had 2 tabs open, and I just accidently posted this in another topic. Whoops!

I agree that they are better in several ways, but they cost more and are harder to get going. The sure board is almost ready out of the box.

I already ordered a ta2020 per everyones suggestion. I still would like to try out the TK2050 at some point, but no one has answered any of my power supply questions.
Old 28th January 2011, 04:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think the general opinion around here is that computer power supplies are not optimum for audio, but if you have them and can hook them up without a lot of trouble, there's no harm and you can see how it sounds.

Do be aware that some switching power supplies require a certain amount of load to output power, so it is possible at low volumes it might cut out. I can't recall whether not having a load on the 5v section also prevents the 12v section from working, but I know it has been discussed in these forums, so you might try a search.

--Buckapound
Old 28th January 2011, 05:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckapound View Post
I think the general opinion around here is that computer power supplies are not optimum for audio, but if you have them and can hook them up without a lot of trouble, there's no harm and you can see how it sounds.

Do be aware that some switching power supplies require a certain amount of load to output power, so it is possible at low volumes it might cut out. I can't recall whether not having a load on the 5v section also prevents the 12v section from working, but I know it has been discussed in these forums, so you might try a search.

--Buckapound
Cool, thanks I'll give that a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!