Some advices for a DIY newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I read the forum for quite a long time, and today I decided to join you and spend some times and money to build my first DIY amplifier !

So let's begin with a quick presentation.
My name is Mickaël, 29 years old, and my job is software developer.
I worked for different instrumentation companies (agilent, advantest, scientec...) so I have some knowledges with DSP, fpga, DAC and ADC, RF and electronics. And my team electronic guy is ok to help me with my DIY project :)
I love music and soud system, so I had a lot of HC system (rotel, audiolab, cambridge, sherwood...) and last year, I decided to go to HIFI only.
After some researches, Tact audio and Nad M2 "pure digital amplifiers" seemed to be perfect for my needs, but too expensive :(
So I bought a Nova Peachtree Audio (Signal Path International - Era Speakers & Peachtree Audio - Nova)
it sounds very good but today, I want to have my own diy ampli !

Ok, let's begin !

What is my dream amp ?
An integrated class D amp, that drives a 2.1 hifi system.

• 4 digital input (optical/coax)
  • 2 analog input
  • Pre-out output for the subwoofer
  • Integrated Equalizer for the subwoofer

My speakers are 2-Way Davis Galaxy (91dB).
I don't know which solution will be the best to drive them.
2x100w ? 4x100w ?

For the subwoofer equalizer, I own a behringer dsp2496.
I work well, but i'd like it to be integrated in my DIY amp (like HK990 for example) and automatic (like room eq wizard)

So what do you think about my dream amp ?
Is it technically possible ?
My budget is around 1000$ (case exclude).
What are your recommendation for good sounding DACs, ADCs, diy kits..
And will a diy amp sound at least as good as a commercial amp in the same price range ?

Thanks

Hi and welcome :)

So how far into DIY do you want to go? Do you want to do circuit design?

Because It's my first diy project, maybe it's better not to go too deep in diy.
Design circuit ok, but if diy kits exist and sounds good, I prefer using it ;)
But for volume knob or source input selection, designing a small card is not a problem

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.