Help with Crown XLS 2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love this amp, but there are two questions i have about it. I have it hooked up to a 15in dayton audio reference series RF 15", and this sub is 500w rms mind you, it is hooked up 4 ohms briged, for 2100w rms, and it just seems like it should have more power than it does. It gets really loud, and gets the sub warm if i let it, (only takes about 20-40secs full power, then it smells a little), but it just seems like that if it was doing rated power, the sub would just bottom out and blow in a matter of seconds, it is in too small of a box(about 2-3 cu ft, it needs 8-10 per sub, might be why it dont bottom out) do you guys think im getting full power out of this amp?? and if i am, do you think it will be stable at 2ohms briged, im getting another 15in dayton. some good car audio amps that are rated stable at 1ohm are fine at .5ohms, so i figure crown is supposed to be one of the best, maybe it will to..

2 ohms bridged... no chance. Car audio is a totally different market - there the goal is to squeeze as much power as possible out of a 12v battery, and you need low impedance loads for that. Low impedance loads require lots of output transistors. All commercial amplifiers, Crown included, use the minimum number of transistors required, because they aren't cheap. The protection scheme takes care of the rest. And an amplifier that's running into the protection limiter all the time isn't going to sound too nice.

Btw, for a 2 ohm load running on any sensible cable length at >1kW you need the speaker cable to be at least 8AWG or you lose a lot of the power on the cable itself.

I was just about to look into this amp a little as an alternative to the Dayton SA1000, and was beginning to be convinced (even though it's full range) until I saw the closeup of the mains power connection on parts express where it says 200W (interesting the other models seem to all say the same thing). This could very well be an explanation to your power problems. With the wild power claims given for this amp, it's quite obvious that it is low end brand that uses lightning-strike peak power ratings. Use common sense, you cannot get 2000 watts of raw power out of a typical outlet, let alone output power. It would not be safe to sell this thing to the general consumer if it tried to. The only way it could even make a hail mary attempt to come close is if it had HUGE capacitors to store power like large HT receivers which even still have pretty sensible consumption/output numbers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.