AMP/BOX PROJECT! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AMP/BOX PROJECT!

I need some help/advice for this amp project i have in mind. It's nothing really complicated. I'm basically using a TK2050 AMP powered by a MEANWELL 27V SMPS.

1) I need a box to put it into. THere's a store called Addisson close to where I live that has a whole bunch of electronics stuff so I'll most likely go there to purchase something. it's probably going to be something like this or like this. One is in Aluminum and the other one in ''Metal''. I don't know what's best. I've also seen ABS (plastic) boxes, but none are big enough. Is there anything that already exists that could accomodate? I need something at least 250mmX160mmX110mm.
I will be mounting the amp on top of the PSU, but taking care of making enough holes for them to breath and enough distance between them so that it doesn't overheat.

2) Is there any way that I can put in a volume control?? I know that there is... but I tried this with a TA2025 amp and it kind of worked, but the pot I have used was probably not fit for it's use. What type of pot do I need and how to wire it??

3) I want to put an LED that is going to light when you turn the power switch on, if I take power directly from the 120AC and put in a resistor to attenuate voltage all should be fine right???

4) I will try to put in a L/R selection switch, any advice on that? (Because I hardly see what can go wrong with this..).

5) anything I need to know about the PSU except plugging it in?

I also attached an image (VERY bad image.. but you get the idea of what I want to do) that somewhat illustrates all my questions.

ANY advice would be appreciated! And keep in mind that I have never ''built...'' an amp before so my knowledge is somewhat basic.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp.JPG (24.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Sure, a dropper resistor from the mains would work for the LED, but why not do it from the 27v output of the SMPS? Less chances of oops that way.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well I thought that since the PSU is 350W, maybe by putting in a resistor some of that power would be taken away? Any way, I will try both ans see what happens!

Hide this!Advertise here!