UCD400 HxR with high efficiency speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
tongkk is offline tongkk  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default UCD400 HxR with high efficiency speaker

Hi,

I am using a UCD400HxR to drive my Altec horn speaker which is very efficient around 100db.

The problem with the sound is that it sound too fast hardly any extension.

The bass seem to pull back very not extended, the vocal appear to rush through the singing.

Is there anything I could mod on the amp to reduce the speed? I hope to make it sound like a tube amp.

Thank you for your kind advise.

Tong
Old 17th January 2011, 04:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be happy to swap the UCD400 for my Diyparadise TA2020 (15W). Ha Ha
Old 18th January 2011, 04:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongkk View Post
Hi,

I am using a UCD400HxR to drive my Altec horn speaker which is very efficient around 100db.

The problem with the sound is that it sound too fast hardly any extension.

The bass seem to pull back very not extended, the vocal appear to rush through the singing.

Is there anything I could mod on the amp to reduce the speed? I hope to make it sound like a tube amp.

Thank you for your kind advise.

Tong
You could put a resistor in series with the speaker to reduce the damping factor for a more relaxed bass. Try 2 ohms at 20 watts non-inductive and see what happens. Sort of a waste for a module designed for speed and low output impedance though. You might want to try a tube amp if that's what you like.
Old 18th January 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
tongkk is offline tongkk  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thank for the advise. I will try it out.

Sometime back I tried installing a speaker auto transformer at the amp output to step up the voltage from "8 Ohm" to "16 Ohm" and yes the music sound slower, bass is more extended, but unfortunately, there is a loud hissing sound. The hissing sound changes when I touches the speaker binding post.

I did read some where from some one suggesting that high efficiency speaker don't match well with high power amp as the speaker driver will move too fast hence no chance to drive the music out the way it should.

Hide this!Advertise here!