Loose Part AMPSUB210. What to do? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2011, 11:32 PM   #1
jspiess is offline jspiess  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Loose Part AMPSUB210. What to do?

Hello,

I have the AMPSUB210, I went to move it and found a loose part moving around inside. It appears to have come from the input output board. It has no label but looks like a capacitor. Just the metal shell part 11mm x 5mm. It appears to have covered something in spot C50, next to CN2-A and resistor R174. CN2A is a two wire connector that goes to the Light Bar Display on-off switch circuit board.

Amp appears to function perfectly, no issues.

The question is should I worry, not use, send for repair….or perhaps just put some type of cover (electrical tape or heat shrink tubing) over the exposed part. Does not appear to be anything leaking from it, it is wrapped in some type of fiber.

Pictures attached:

Thanks, Jerome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Close Up Location.jpg (550.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg General View.jpg (579.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Cap.jpg (65.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 13th January 2011, 11:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jerome, it is, (was!) an electrolytic capacitor, and it looks like it suffered from overheating, or perhaps was installed with the wrong polarity. Difficult to tell what function it served with no schematic. Can you see any writing on it?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Last edited by pinkmouse; 13th January 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 14th January 2011, 01:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

No marking of any kind at all on it. Just got the 10x loop out...it appears to have been sanded clean, must have been off and vibrating around in the case for awhile! I sent an email to Audiosource technical support, hopefully they'll provide some info. I'll look for a schematic. Everything seems to work fine. I've shut the led switch off that is connected next to it. Without a schematic...would be kind of hard to replace. Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep using it unless someone thinks that is foolish.

Thanks, Jerome
Old 14th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Unable to find a schematic online. Possibly if someone has this amp they could tell me what the part is. Thanks, Jerome
Old 18th January 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Response from Manufacturer

Jerome:

One of our engineers looked at the schematic on the 210 and has determined that the component is used in a filtering capacity on the Light bar. It should be fine continuing to use the unit. If possible, can you please let me know what is marked on the shell you found? That particular component shouldn’t see much stress so we would like to see if possibly an incorrect value had been used.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Jones
Director of Operations
Peak Audio Group
AudioSouce – Phoenix Gold Innovative Home

Hide this!Advertise here!