Review of Connexelectronic TA-3020 v3b audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished running in the amp for 100 hours, so I thought I'd really test it out! My music taste is varied, and here are my findings using a great recording of Delibe's Lakme (a tough test!):

1> The amp sounds "harsh." This is compared to my previous setup which used 2x Maplin 150W mosfet modules (Class AB) with upgraded mosfets.
2> The low frequencies, maybe <100Hz are outstanding.
3> The low to mid frequencies are comparable. (100Hz - 800Hz.)
4> The mid-range frequencies are inferior. (800Hz - 2KHz.)
5> The mid to high frequencies (2KHz - 6KHz) are terrible; there is a horrible colouration and it made my ears hurt.
6> The high frequencies are marginally better (6KHz - 16KHz.)

For the amount of money I spent on this stereo module (and one other that still does not work,) I would suggest spending it on a well engineered class AB stereo module. I am very disappointed.

I like my music: A LOT. Please don't skimp on the output stage like I did to save money. At the end of the day, you will save time AND money AND your ears by purchasing an amp module with some pedigree.

Rich.

For the amount of money I spent on this stereo module (and one other that still does not work,) I would suggest spending it on a well engineered class AB stereo module. I am very disappointed.

I can understand your frustration. Why the work ? My suggestion is either a finished Hlly T 300 (TA3020) or the T 90 (TA2022). Don't change to class AB - you will regret it ...;)
Or take the hifimediy T2 board (cheap, powerful and smooth). Here you invest less work and stress than in connexelectronic modules.

If you want to buy a "classic" then go for a used Musical Fidelity A1. This is pure class A and a well known giant killer if not combined with current hungry speakers.

Last edited:
I have posted about my suspicions of the modules here a long time ago and I wasn't too positive then. I was hammered by some of the crowds here and very misunderstood. Okay, maybe I was a little negative...

In the mean time I have had a couple of them on my desk, sent to me by unhappy customers wanting to just get rid of them.

I have even tried to modify the first one sent to me to try to make something proper out of it, but soon I saw it would never be a great performer.

Still I wouldn't just bluntly discard any class T amplifier. There are many that sound fan-tas-tic! I have a big pile of amplifiers here at hand, two Passlabs X150.5, a Mark Levinson No.29, three Briston 4B, a Van Medevoort MAtube, a Quad 405 mk2, an Audio Research D-100B, two John van der Sluys hybrid monoblocks and a whole bunch more....

In the past years I have tested the IRAUDAMP7, UCD180 and 400, also the HG version, the Connex TA3020 modules....

Of all amps I still love the AR D-100B very much, but there are lots of Class T amps that come close, some are at least on par with it.

I am not trying to say they are the greatest amps in the world, and it's just subjective. I do however am very convinced by now the Connex modules I had on my desk were not great quality, and I didn't like the sound of them either.

There are a few Tripath reference boards that are still available and DO sound very good, despite the fact that they are not state of the art designs. Like the TK2350 reference board.

I personally love the TK2050/2150/2350 a lot! They all feature the TC2000/2001/2002 modulator, which I think of as the best modulator Tripath has made.... Yet there are very bad specimen available with these chips too, beware of incredibly low priced boards!

I do also miss a piece of rather crucial information in this thread, what speakers were connected to it??

Last edited:
amp can only be as good as the setup it, that means speakers, position of them, room acoustics,...

That's a bit nonsense if you put it that way. Off course the speakers, room acoustics etc. have the most influence, but if an amplifier sucks it will never become good, not even with the best speakers.

Often when T-amps sound harsh the problem is that the load is not well matched to the output filter. This is one slight down side of any class D amplifier with an output filter. The chance of a rise, or even a fall in higher frequencies can occur. Even non linear behaviour in the midrange can occur as a side effect. That's why I mainly use these amps for active speakers with well matched parts or make sure the amp is well matched to the intended load.

but why harsh... as far as I know, people don't like amp that have too low output impedance and say that it doesn't sound good, but when they have amp with damping of say 30 or less, the are most happy...

What makes amp harsh, how do you measure that... I mean, this amps, at least from tripath are linear a lot, whole audio spectrum... but yet again, they as "you" say are harsh, how come?

That's indeed hard to say why, from a distance we can only guess. I know for a FACT that Tripath amps are only linear when the load matches the configuration of the output filter well. Usually amps sound harsh when the frequency spectrum is somehow not linear. It can also sound dull for the same reason though....

Sure, but we are talking about one man not liking a sound character, big chance he'll like it if it configured differently.

On a side note this is what always surprises me about the modding herds, there is no thing that influences the sound more than the mere value of components, given the quality is good enough to reach max performance there will not be much gained from a 'better' component....

I've just managed to configure the sound to how I like it. I have to use the following equaliser settings in VLC player: (Of course, I shouldn't have to make any changes to equalisers, etc, for it to sound right in the first place, as my previous amp sounded fine!

equaliser.jpg

Looking at the equaliser settings, could anyone suggest to me some speaker cable or interconnects that would have this characteristic? Or even better, I have the connexelectronic v3b pdf file here:

http://www.data-designs.net/images/v3b.pdf

Maybe The input capacitors could be changed?

Any help much appreciated................ (I have a dead connex v1 TA3020 amp here and an willing to send it to anyone who solves my problem here....)

I have posted about my suspicions of the modules here a long time ago and I wasn't too positive then. I was hammered by some of the crowds here and very misunderstood. Okay, maybe I was a little negative...

In the mean time I have had a couple of them on my desk, sent to me by unhappy customers wanting to just get rid of them.

all your suspicions were without support, as always. who don't believe, read that thread again.
post pictures with every board from your unhappy customer. don't forget to mention his name as well. you only had the board of Arno which you intentionally destroy-it to prove what ? that 41hz is the best ?
let's cut the crap everybody knows that you are 41hz guy and i will post all the threats where you tried to convince me to get out of business.

from today i put 10 TA3020 boards form the new version coming this month which will be given for free for those which will bring arguments that you are related with 41hz.

richard,
You're still pissed off because i didn't accept to offer you a full refund for a board bought two years ago which you damage-it, i repaired for free then you said i did nothing to it ? probably v-bro will give you one for free to show you his kindness and join his attacks against me.

so, who will be the first to get one of those 10 boards ??? facts, quotes which prove the connection and you'll have one.

Last edited:
I've told you a million times what my relation is with 41hz. I like their products a lot, and the owner is a nice guy, sure. I am very sorry to say this can not be said about you....

I like 41hz so much for these reasons that I am just willing to help them in their whereabouts for free!

Oh, I just proved there that I am affiliated!!?

Can I get a board now?

Oh, well, on second thought, just keep it anyways.....

@V-Bro,

I know 41Hz as one of the first pages I discovered in refer to Tripath amps. I am not sure but are there also clear facts and evidences that the Tripath Community including many chinese board designers benefitted for years from the work of 41 Hz ? In this case I see not a problem to regard them in audio forums like this from time to time BUT you do suspiciously often. Though that I can not assume that you are bounded in any profit intended ways to 41Hz.

I thought that you have denied one million times any connection, now, we are getting closer to reality when the stake is one free amp ??? and yeah, i'm really nasty guy with all those who are insulting me, threat me, and tells me things about close relatives.
as always, you are not bringing any proof in this affirmation, besides the board which you destroyed on purpose, where are the others ?

Can I get a board now?
sure, after you admit and brig proofs that you are part of 41hz.

I find quite odd to see that this forum allows any dealer to find a third-party individual which can brush and try to destroy competitor's reputation bringing up just personal suppositions without physical support. well, at least if you have bought one board and claim that you are "my customer" and you are not satisfied by the product.
richard, before you gonna start again, remember that you bought the board 2 years ago, i have repaired and sent back without charging you one penny, when you blow-it up then you start threating me and ask full refund, after 2 years... if you would tune the language a little bit, perhaps i would sent you one more new board, instead, you prefer to go on the other way. sorry, i do not respond to threats in a positive way.

@ TheDealer: don't know if matters, but I'M NOT CHINESE (and i regret this onestly to be)

Last edited:
I had three boards, two V02 and a V03, either returned, or just thrown in the waste bin, which is no real big deal, they were cheap anyway.... I'm not gonna rat on anybody, not even on your invitation.

Yes, there is proof of Chinese 41hz copies. AMP15 has been shamelessly copied and sold on taobao with VERY inferior components placed, as usual. Even though I must admit Cristi is a league higher quality than that. Even the name AMP15 was copied, only the board was red and there was an added footprint for a potentiometer. And off course the price was ridiculously low....

Here it is:
ZK8tY.jpg

And with the real (black PCB, not fully completed) AMP15 next to it:

inxDx.jpg

Here still a beta version, some caps are not fitting properly here yet, but it's the final rev. board:
iGnuy.jpg

Last edited:
I had three boards, two V02 and a V03, either returned, or just thrown in the waste bin, which is no real big deal, they were cheap anyway.... I'm not gonna rat on anybody, not even on your invitation.

name them, please, they will get replace or refund if is real. or you just quote from your imagination, so there's nobody to name.

further, is useless to comment, i see that you still have bad memories when you saw that red board, from the other competitors as well, even if they are some cheap Chinese cloners. as someone pointed very well regarding this board, you get what you pay for, and i think the price is more than reasonable. but i found-it very unreasonable to charge 100+ euros for an unassembled kit then is up to you if you will ever manage to make-it work properly. if not, is user's fault, of course, since he soldered the wrong parts in the wrong place. no warranty, no headache, no after sale support. that's the real business, right? perhaps i will start doing the same soon, but not for ridiculous 100+ euros for an empty board and some 20 usd parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.