Review of Connexelectronic TA-3020 v3b audio amplifier - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:05 PM   #31
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Playing with the input caps will damage the amp again, for sure. then complain that was not your fault.

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:07 PM   #32
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
???
It's a bit of a practical joke...

@ Data_Lore:Farnell sells them... Take care choosing the right pitch distance...

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:12 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Epcos B32520C225J is available in the UK at Farnell, also quite nice, but again check the pitch distance to ensure they fit nicely!

EPCOS|B32520C225J|CAPACITOR POLYESTER FILM 2.2UF | Farnell United Kingdom
EPCOS|B32521C225J|CAPACITOR POLYESTER FILM 2.2UF | Farnell United Kingdom

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:20 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
Epcos B32520C225J is available in the UK at Farnell, also quite nice, but again check the pitch distance to ensure they fit nicely!

EPCOS|B32520C225J|CAPACITOR POLYESTER FILM 2.2UF | Farnell United Kingdom
EPCOS|B32521C225J|CAPACITOR POLYESTER FILM 2.2UF | Farnell United Kingdom
Thanks v-bro, I assumed they should fit nicely to ensure no damage, etc.

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:32 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_lore View Post
Thanks v-bro, I assumed they should fit nicely to ensure no damage, etc.
I do recommend you measure the distance between the holes once more and check if it nicely matches with the proposed caps, I can't see the real size from the picture you posted....

Old 2nd April 2011, 07:41 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

v-bro, please PM me your postal address - I will send you the amp that was repaired by Cristi.

Old 2nd April 2011, 08:07 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hi V-bro, I'm not biased and I don't care at all in joining a dispute.. however, since I have several T-amps of both 41Hz (if you wish I can easily prove this) and Cristi I would like to say my opinion. Firstly it's not the input cap in itself that could damage the amp, it's the feedback of the energy radiated by the switching mosfets that could do it.. most of the high-end caps are big and are very nice antennas, put them on the inputs and you've a very nice HF power oscillator in no time. Moreover, I read that Cristi's amplifiers are Harsh .. vague on the midrange.. I have to say I totally disagree with this judgement.. I bought 3 version v3b and 4 of version v2 and I have to say they sound outstanding in my opinion. I have a v2 that I'm using since more than one year now and had NEVER an issue.. (after hours of listening at high volume it gets barely warm) since I've so much success with these amps I would not say I'm the "lucky one"..
If someone have problems of amplifier overheating or if the sound is harsh it's because the amplifier is self-oscillating.. and this is a weakness of the T-amps as a whole.. assembling these amps in a container is not just piece-of-cake as with the class AB ones.. The grounding it's very important as well as the power supply being used and the layout of the cables.. If you use a switching PS and you place the amp too near or you place the input cables so that they pickup the switching noise you'll have exactly the behavior described, the amplifier self oscillates, the output toroids get hot, the sound is distorted. It happened to me as well in the beginning with the first v3b I bought from Cristi (and with an AMP15 as well) now that I'm using linear PS with some tricks the issue disappeared completely. Another common mistake is to place very high capacity electrolytic capacitors on the supply rails (especially when using SMPS) as this could render the PSU unstable or cause the rails to pickup (again) radiated noise..
Obviously playing with electronics requires some skills.. and not everybody able to buy an amplifier on the internet is then able to assemble it in the right way.
If you wish I can provide some tips that helped me a lot dealing with these kind of amps.

My opinion is that 41Hz and Connexelectronics amps are both valuable products and, according to my listening ability their sound imprint is very very very close and for sure better than any previous Class AB I built.

Old 2nd April 2011, 08:13 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

That would be number four. I don't know of any first hand experience, but Cristi always promises refunds and free new boards, but apparently when it comes to the act it's often still not satisfactory...some how... some way....

Old 2nd April 2011, 08:21 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

At least if you take a look at it and possibly test it, I won't feel bullied any more. PM me your address mate.

I can't comment further, as I now have an infraction for a "personal attack" so I need to be careful.

Old 2nd April 2011, 08:28 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That would be number four.
So you've four broken amps by Cristi
and were you able to understand the cause of the failure?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!