diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Class H amplifier idea (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/178968-class-h-amplifier-idea.html)

Mondan 12th December 2010 08:14 AM

Class H amplifier idea
 
I read this:
Geek Circuits Class D amp using TL494 DC to DC converter chip

And I think:
Can I make a SMPS with audio modulation?
And to put the voltage v obtained on class AB amplifier.
Amplifier will have the same audio signal.

In this way it will improve efficiency.
There is no loss of power on "output" transistors.

Sorry if my english is not good.


Dan

nigelwright7557 12th December 2010 04:13 PM

This is not a new idea.

Class D is close to an SMPS anyway.

Mondan 12th December 2010 04:20 PM

Thanks to the response.
That is.But a class AB amplifier has a superior sound quality than a class D.

I think in this way we have quality of class AB and efficiency of class D.

nigelwright7557 12th December 2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondan (Post 2395925)
Thanks to the response.
That is.But a class AB amplifier has a superior sound quality than a class D.

I think in this way we have quality of class AB and efficiency of class D.

I have designed class d and class ab and to be honest cant tell the difference.
Both give clear and good bandwidth sound.

I guess it depends how well they are designed as to which might sound better.

Saturnus 12th December 2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondan (Post 2395925)
Thanks to the response.
That is.But a class AB amplifier has a superior sound quality than a class D.

I don't know what on earth gave you that idea. The very best amplifiers I've ever heard have all, without exception been some form of class-D amps (Tripath, UcD, TACT etc.).

I should note that I've listened to hundreds of amps.

NMOS 13th December 2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnus (Post 2396283)
I don't know what on earth gave you that idea. The very best amplifiers I've ever heard have all, without exception been some form of class-D amps (Tripath, UcD, TACT etc.).

I should note that I've listened to hundreds of amps.


I claim....this is not true a class AB amplifier has really a superior sound quality than a class D

Compare to some 15 - 30 years old Class AB professional amps TRIPATH Class D and newer IRF IC design Class D with IRS 2092 IC, IR2010 IC.... sound terrible in mid and high, only effeciency for bass

If I will find good sounding powerful class D in future it will change my views

qsa 13th December 2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnus (Post 2396283)
I don't know what on earth gave you that idea. The very best amplifiers I've ever heard have all, without exception been some form of class-D amps (Tripath, UcD, TACT etc.).

I should note that I've listened to hundreds of amps.


Test Class D amps in premium PA, no way the sound is hard and not amazing

you will replace with class AB / H amps

with low output power "Hi-FI" Class D sound good with "Hi-FI" speakers but high output power.... only bass

ontoaba 14th December 2010 12:46 AM

That because of its very low output impedance. That means no loudspeaker free space for its reflected moving. The loudspeaker will receive more heat, and less reflex. It is totally forced. It also happen in some MOSFET amplifier that also has hig DF with it.
That is, why class D always fail with total failures and the designers don't know why and still saying class D is the best. Hear it for long time listening and you will notice the difference, compare it with your low DF class AB, 50-200DF in this case.
I am stop with ClassD and leave it years ago and never interested in it again. The best is tracking rail right now. It gives constant Vce or Vds (for mosfet) that very helpful to deal with voltage characteristics.

Yes this idea is the best but not new one:
This one is discussing more witth it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...-projects.html

luka 14th December 2010 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMOS (Post 2396644)
I claim....this is not true a class AB amplifier has really a superior sound quality than a class D

Compare to some 15 - 30 years old Class AB professional amps TRIPATH Class D and newer IRF IC design Class D with IRS 2092 IC, IR2010 IC.... sound terrible in mid and high, only effeciency for bass

If I will find good sounding powerful class D in future it will change my views

And that is your opinion, I don't find anything terrible in all of the range...really depends on what you have listen to, how it was set up and so on

Workhorse 14th December 2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsa (Post 2396647)
Test Class D amps in premium PA, no way the sound is hard and not amazing

you will replace with class AB / H amps

with low output power "Hi-FI" Class D sound good with "Hi-FI" speakers but high output power.... only bass

I don't agree;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2