Class H amplifier idea - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2010, 06:40 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsa View Post
Test Class D amps in premium PA, no way the sound is hard and not amazing

you will replace with class AB / H amps

with low output power "Hi-FI" Class D sound good with "Hi-FI" speakers but high output power.... only bass
I don't agree either - but I like Lab.Gruppen Class TD for high power. You can track thier working Class TD amps back to 1990, so not a new concept
Old 15th December 2010, 04:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

And +1 for disagree. No Class AB amp I have ever owned/have my hands on comes close to what I can achieve with Hypex UCD.
Old 15th December 2010, 04:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lorylaci
Anybody could say it's opinion, but that's not proof of anything.
The facts are:
- Class D amps are made with as low THD, as high Damping Factor, as high frequency coverage (put here any measureable paramter) as a Class AB / H amps. Just look at some professional designs So even a listener with a highly sophisticated ear cannot tell the difference, from an AB or a D calss amp, if their parameters are the same, if he does a BLIND TEST. (or double-blinded test the better...) Of course a not-blinded test can have any result, even depending of the weater or the phase of the moon.
- Class D amps have superior efficiency over Class AB / H amps. So any best-designed Class AB amp cannot have the efficiency of a Class-D amp.

Class H amps can be made without switching power knowledge. So this would predict they are easier to design. Apart from this you can see more simple Class-D designs than Class H designs in this forum.

If somebody likes amps with low Damping Factor (i really don't, thats not what i would consider as HiFi), just put a big power resistor series with the load. Low DF viola.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

>Class H amps can be made without switching power knowledge.

Sounds like a good way to ruin a class H amp.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
>Class H amps can be made without switching power knowledge.

Sounds like a good way to ruin a class H amp.
Not to mention life threatening but there's always the Darwin Award to aim for.
Old 15th December 2010, 07:23 PM   #16
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorylaci View Post
If somebody likes amps with low Damping Factor (i really don't, thats not what i would consider as HiFi), just put a big power resistor series with the load. Low DF viola.
I don't undrrstand why you would want to have less control over cone, maybe for speaker to "fluf" around uncontrolled... not really precise sound generator if you ask me
Old 15th December 2010, 07:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lorylaci
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
I don't undrrstand why you would want to have less control over cone, maybe for speaker to "fluf" around uncontrolled... not really precise sound generator if you ask me
I like high Damping Factor, I consider HiFi sound must use high DF amps. But lots of people write pages about the godness of low DF, and the "lifeness" of resonant basses.
i just showed if you have a high DF amp, you can turn it whenever you want to a low DF one...
Old 15th December 2010, 08:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The situation pertaining to the argument though is that whether linear or switching modern semiconductor designs yield damping factors that are so high as to be negligible when considering speaker driver response.
Old 15th December 2010, 08:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Ohh you smart guys - when will class D be cold power when it's off !
Small case stereo UCD400 project - heat issue
Efficiency is high at high volumes - at low volumes NO - how loud do you play when it's HiFi?

High damping factor from a class D amp to what use?
Let us see your loudspeakers (Yves Smolders, luka, lorylaci)! - please!!! links/pictures...!
Old 15th December 2010, 08:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert GS View Post
Ohh you smart guys - when will class D be cold power when it's off !
You're confusing two things I think. Power supply efficiency and amp efficiency.

In class G (or H) that's the same thing but in a class D amp the power supply is seperate. In both efficiency should theoretically scale according to output level but some SMPS's lose efficiency faster than they theoretically should so that at very low volume levels a class G (or H) amp is more efficient. Also because in class D amps there are 2 seperate units that each draws idle current.

If you use a trafo (which have a pretty much constant 98% efficiency) or battery supplies for the class D amp it will always be more efficient.

Hide this!Advertise here!