Class D, all chips are BGA? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Class D, all chips are BGA?

All Class D chips that I have found are BGA or some other hard to work with size.

Does anyone know where I can find DIP class D amps? or do i have to work with BGA/QFP?
Old 30th November 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Most fully integrated (modulator/driver/FETs) class-d IC's are in some form of surface mount package. Some of the Tripath IC's are through-hole, but not DIP.

The only DIP package IC I can even think of is the TPA3122D2.

There are parts available from IR that are DIP, but they all require external FETs and most need a modulator as well.
Old 30th November 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry I meant non-surface mount not specifically DIP. Actually surface mount isnt the issue its surface mounts where you cant directly solder to the pins. How do you know if you soldered it right?

Do you guys use BGAs etc? I could use a hotplate if you say its easy.

Are the tripath ICs easy to use/good?
Old 30th November 2010, 03:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is the option of the V-module VMA2015. It's a MAX9703 in a module package that has solder pads on the top of the base PCB with notches cut out that I believe could accept pins on a 0.1" pitch.

I may not have described that very well, so here's a link to the device datasheet with the physical footprint shown at the bottom.

http://v-module.com/info.aspx?id=19

The datasheet for the MAX9703 can be accessed HERE.

Short of buying through Deal Extreme, I have no idea where you can source them from though. The modules themselves are frequently out of stock, but DE sell an evaluation board carrying two of them preconfigured for stereo operation if that's any help.

http://www2.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44125

Last edited by Slipstreem; 30th November 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Hitec is offline Hitec  Finland
diyAudio Member

At least NXP has through-hole packages like TDA8920B and it's derivatives. It has two variants: SMD and TH. These are fully integrated amplifiers (filters are needed though).
Old 30th November 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico1st View Post
Actually surface mount isnt the issue its surface mounts where you cant directly solder to the pins.
Most BGA parts are low power (~2W), so I don't think you will find many people that bother to DIY with those anyway.

There is a good variety of mid-power QFP package IC's available. I've done quite a few boards with TQFP package using only a standard solder iron; it's really not that difficult.

My latest TPA3106D1 40W mono boards
Old 1st December 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

The LLP (National) or LFCSP (Analog Devices) packages are really not that hard to solder. It does take a bit of patience, though. First apply flux with a flux pen. Then tin the leads/pads of the IC and the board. Apply flux to the now tinned IC and board. Using a heat gun or hot plate, heat up the board until the solder melts and place the IC on top. The IC should snap into place due to the surface tension of the solder. Some people have good luck soldering the exposed pad on the bottom of those chips with a fat tip on a regular soldering iron.

For the leads, the trick is to apply flux then apply solder liberally. Wick up the excess with solder wick.

It's more involved than DIP, but leaded parts are out these days. Unfortunate for the DIY crowd.

~Tom
Old 1st December 2010, 09:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You can get IRS2092 in PDIP through hole package.

SM with the 2092 isnt a big problem as you can stretch the pads on the pcb and solder by hand with a fine iron.

Hide this!Advertise here!